Tune with intake only? [Archive] - G5CLUB.net Forums

: Tune with intake only?

nhanson
03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
i hear this is possible and the rest of the mods really dont matter with the tune? (like header, DP, catback)

input is great

Farmer
03-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Not only do they matter, but you would be wasting your money to tune without being fully (or close to) bolted.

utsadude
03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Wrong.

Farmer
03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Wrong.

How so?

utsadude
03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
I was reluctant to tune before I got fully bolted. At the time, I only had the CAI on. Vince told me that the exhaust components wouldn't really effect how the tune is set up and would not need to be retuned for after they were put on. So I tuned with just the CAI. Now that I am fully bolted I data logged and sent him the file. No retune needed (though I will be needing a retune this weekend to turn off the no cat code, gutting that fucker on Friday).

Think about it, the tune sets parameters for the car to achieve based on how much air the MAF sensor detects. That number hasn't changed since you put on the different exhaust. Yes, the engine will flow better and you will make more power, but the amount of fuel you are putting into the cylinder per x amount of air hasn't changed any.

karnivor
03-24-2010, 02:38 PM
if the engine flows better, wouldn't that mean that more air is passing through it?

utsadude
03-24-2010, 02:41 PM
if the engine flows better, wouldn't that mean that more air is passing through it?

Yes it does. But the tune still adds the same amount of fuel for the same amount of air.

If the tune is set up to use 1 liter of fuel per liter of air (get off my units, they will work for what I'm saying), and then you change something to where the engine now flows and sucks in 1.5 liters of air, the tune will see that and use 1.5 liters of fuel.

See what I'm saying? You may flow more air into the cylinder, but you still add the same amount of fuel as you did before it flowed better.

nhanson
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM
i think i got it...

also im under warranty still only close to 11k miles....so if i get a 2nd ECM how the hell am i supposed to do a case learn? wouldnt think of going to the dealer and asking for one since ITS A BRAND NEW CAR

utsadude
03-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Don't get a 2nd ECM... Throwing money away IMO.

Farmer
03-24-2010, 03:12 PM
I see your point Chip, but I still feel that a tune should be the last thing you do.

Otherwise, what enjoyment would you get of an exhaust/downpipe/header?

I'm getting a catless downpipe, but I'm not getting tuned. I want to wait on HPT.

I'm just going to run a non-fouler on the o2 sensor. No light.

Don't get a 2nd ECM... Throwing money away IMO.

Not really, GM will fuck him over.

nhanson
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
I see your point Chip, but I still feel that a tune should be the last thing you do.

I'm getting a catless downpipe, but I'm not getting tuned. I want to wait on HPT.

Not really, GM will fuck him over.

most definitely...and its only $75 for a salvage ECM and $50 for the TCM

utsadude
03-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Don't get me wrong, changing the exhaust out has an effect. That will liven up the car for sure. But you won't need to get retuned for them.

I wish you the best on the HPT thing. But I think you are going to be holding your breath for quite some time, sadly.

I would run an non-fouler, but I will be removing the rear O2 completely anyway soon to be replaced with a wideband, so I'm just gonna shut the code off now.

Farmer
03-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, changing the exhaust out has an effect. That will liven up the car for sure. But you won't need to get retuned for them.

I wish you the best on the HPT thing. But I think you are going to be holding your breath for quite some time, sadly.

I would run an non-fouler, but I will be removing the rear O2 completely anyway soon to be replaced with a wideband, so I'm just gonna shut the code off now.

I've heard from several that it should only be a couple of months now.

To each his own, I suppose.

What are you tuning with?

utsadude
03-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I've heard from several that it should only be a couple of months now.

To each his own, I suppose.

What are you tuning with?

Well that's good.

Right now I'm using Trifecta. But once I get to the point where I'm going to go turbo I'm gonna be buying HPT probably.

Farmer
03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, my only options right now are, LS2edit and Trifecta.

Both of which are just... blah, when compared to HPTuners.

sloancallaway
03-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, my only options right now are, LS2edit and Trifecta.

Both of which are just... blah, when compared to HPTuners.

That is completely dependent on the tuner, and there are some really dumb tuners out there

Nighthawk243
03-24-2010, 08:25 PM
If you're just going with an intake, then you can do it now.

However, if you plan on doing other mods such as going forced induction, changing out the intake manifold (With the one from the LE5), going with a larger throttle body, porting the heads, upgrading the injectors or something of that sort, I would suggest waiting.

The exhaust shouldn't require a retune.

nhanson
03-24-2010, 08:53 PM
If you're just going with an intake, then you can do it now.

However, if you plan on doing other mods such as going forced induction, changing out the intake manifold (With the one from the LE5), going with a larger throttle body, porting the heads, upgrading the injectors or something of that sort, I would suggest waiting.

The exhaust shouldn't require a retune.

doing full bolt ons and thats it (MAYBE nitrous later...but thats a BIG maybe)