Pedders springs from TurboTechRacing review [Archive] - G5CLUB.net Forums

: Pedders springs from TurboTechRacing review

toolman
07-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Brand: Pedders
Purchased from / Price: TurboTechRacing.com (http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5318)

Installation: Moderate if your car is new. Involved if you have a lot of miles on it.
Installation Time: 2-10 hours, depending on how many miles you have on your car.
Vehicle Details: 2007 G5 GT with manual transmission.

Quality / Performance of Part: 8 out of 10 - The handling improvement with these springs is great, without sacrificing much of the OEM ride quality. Before installing them, I was worried that my wife was going to complain about the ride quality. Afterwards, she hardly even noticed a difference. The handling improvements allow me to take corners at a higher speed with less body roll. I also notice much less swaying when there is a side wind. The drop in ride height is perfect in my eyes. The wheel gap looks uniform around the fenders, and the rear does not look like it is sagging compared to the Eibach Sportline springs. The only con is the paint. The paint on the springs is very thin and fragile. After only two weeks, I looked at the springs and they looked to be in worse shape than the four year old stockers! That's really disappointing considering the price of these springs. If I were to install them again, I would try coating them in plastidip or putting a clear shrink tubing on them.

Would you Recommend to Others: Definitely

Notes: I bought Pedders springs from TTR a while back (February 2010) when they had a group buy, along with their steering rack spacers. I also bought new FE5 shocks and struts to replace the factory FE3 ones, new rear spring mounts since mine were shot, and new strut mounts from Crate Engine Depot. Additionally, I bought Moog FE5 sway bar end links from Advanced Auto because I knew that I would have to destroy mine to remove them.

Installation Notes:
The installation of the rear springs was rather simple, after I did a lot of research to determine the proper orientation of the springs. It is a little difficult to get the bump stops into the tops of the springs, but a little grease and a hydraulic press did the trick for me. The rear springs can be installed with a basic set of sockets, jack and jack stands, pry-bar, and a torque wrench.

The installation of the front springs was a little more involved. With nearly 100,000 miles on my car, I had to torch the end links off and spend quite a bit of time cleaning dirt and grease off of all the pieces of the strut assemblies. The top end of the Pedders springs do not end up "clocked" the same way as the OEM springs, so I had to spend some time messing with the orientation of the top strut mount to get it to fit right. There were no instructions for this, so it took a bit of trial and error. Under ideal conditions, the front springs can be installed with a basic set of sockets, allen keys, spring compressor, impact wrench, torque wrench, jack and jack stands.

The installation of the steering rack spacers didn't happen. I don't have rotated mounts, so they don't fit. Someday I'll install them, but it is probably going to be a long time.

Vendor Notes: TTR always quickly responded to all of my questions. I initially had a few questions about the springs, which they answered quickly. When I ordered them I was already aware of the backorder, and TTR always checked on the order for me whenever I contacted them about the delivery status. I was very satisfied with the customer service that they provided.

chrisdordon
07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Amazing setup isn't it Luke?

Sent from my mothafuckin' Android!

toolman
07-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Amazing setup isn't it Luke?

Sure is! I installed everything in April/May. I just noticed today that there was no product review for them, so I wrote this up.

I'm hoping that a rear sway bar will eliminate more body roll... Installing Pedders makes me want to do more now. :)

TurboTechRacing
07-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the review! These are a very popular spring set!