Reduced Power To engine stuck.... [Archive] - G5CLUB.net Forums

: Reduced Power To engine stuck....

Splintery
09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I have just started on the forums iv been looking around at some of the similar problems but still have no idea what it could be.

i drive an 08 pontiac g5 base with little over 80k on it, i have a stright pipe exhaust and AEM cold air intake mod to short ram.

CODES= P101-mass air flow sensor performance, p106- manifold absolute pressure sensor performance, p172- fuel trim system rich.

First it started off just fine with no check engine light but it did hesitate a little. after a few weeks the light started coming on and off it was just random. then the hesitations got worse, when i floor it you can hear the hesitation throughout the 30-60mph range. after a few more weeks it started reducing power to engine. now its in what they say Limp mode.

also when i turn it on it will run fine for a second or two then start bogging down until it dies, after it dies i can hear a little click its not much but it does it maybe 2\3 times it comes from around the front of the engine(i do believe around the throttle body, where the intake hooks up to im still a noobie at this)

im a full time student and almost full time employee so i drive a lot and im in need of some major help any ideas are appreciated. would like to narrow the list down of what it could be(limited money for now :( ))))

hawk5211
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I have just started on the forums iv been looking around at some of the similar problems but still have no idea what it could be.

i drive an 08 pontiac g5 base with little over 80k on it, i have a stright pipe exhaust and AEM cold air intake mod to short ram.

CODES= P101-mass air flow sensor performance, p106- manifold absolute pressure sensor performance, p172- fuel trim system rich.

First it started off just fine with no check engine light but it did hesitate a little. after a few weeks the light started coming on and off it was just random. then the hesitations got worse, when i floor it you can hear the hesitation throughout the 30-60mph range. after a few more weeks it started reducing power to engine. now its in what they say Limp mode.

also when i turn it on it will run fine for a second or two then start bogging down until it dies, after it dies i can hear a little click its not much but it does it maybe 2\3 times it comes from around the front of the engine(i do believe around the throttle body, where the intake hooks up to im still a noobie at this)

im a full time student and almost full time employee so i drive a lot and im in need of some major help any ideas are appreciated. would like to narrow the list down of what it could be(limited money for now :( ))))

Welcome to the forum!

I had a very similar problem on my 2000 Chevy Astro in the spring. Cleaning the MAF sensor was the solution. I do not know how to do that on the G5, but it might help. Maybe someone else here has the answer.

Splintery
09-06-2011, 02:50 PM
earlier today i started looking around to see if anything just looked wrong, i took my intake off cleaned the inside of it wasent really dirty. i looked down at the throttle body and i could see a little bit of black stuff around the throttle plate(also how hard is it to push this plate down?? wonderin if its clogged).

toolman
09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
You won't be able to move the throttle plate with your finger. It's electronically controlled, and you'll damage it if you push too hard.

Based on the codes you are getting, I'm pretty certain the problem is with your intake. Either a dirty MAF, air leak, or some other problem related to your intake.

utsadude
09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Vacuum leak. Somewhere in the intake.

Take everything off. All the way to the manifold(leave it on). Clean everything. Put it back on.

Splintery
09-09-2011, 08:41 AM
So i decided to take it to a family owned shop (no good dealerships) the throttle sensor had burned out so brand new throttle body. then we get to see if that fixes the problem

G5Speed
09-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Check to see if the catalytic converter is clogged(if you still have one). A clogged catalytic converter will set the first 2 codes. And the the other one may be caused by faulty injectors, there is a bulletin that states the injectors must be tested to rectify if that's the cause.