G5 Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am needing to do the timing chain on my g5 as I am searching for the parts there are a number of kits that claim they will fit but some do not have the vvt cam sprockets it has the smaller ones. There are other kits with the vvt sprockets and solenoids. This is probably a stupid question and I apologize I just want to be certain I get the right parts. So I need to get the one with the vvt sprockets and solenoids correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea why the chain wore out?
I'm pretty certain it has a lot to do with the 270,000+ miles on it lol. it is still driving but on start up you can hear the chain bad slapping around like it's really loose. also I can tell a slight difference in how it is running since I got it. recently losing more and more power. From what I can tell though it hasn't jumped I don't think. Trying to just replace it before that can potentially happen lol. should hopefully get it taken care in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
I've seen people typically getting a cam correlation code when the timing chain gets worn. You might consider trying a cheaper route first - change the chain tensioner. If that doesn't fix the rattling, then look into the timing chain and guides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You
I've seen people typically getting a cam correlation code when the timing chain gets worn. You might consider trying a cheaper route first - change the chain tensioner. If that doesn't fix the rattling, then look into the timing chain and guides.
I thought it weird that I've yet to get any codes about it. Maybe my scanner is too cheap or something idk but the only code I ever get is p0420 which has been there ever since I bought it haven't been super worried about it since I don't live in California lol but I know something is not all the way right with the timing because sometimes only sometimes when I first start it the tach needle will bounce around only a tiny bit until it smooths out. But man I already bought all the stuff to do the timing and balance shaft chains 😂😂. So you think I could get away with just a new tensioner if all the guides are still in good condition?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts