G5 Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Recently I could smell fuel from my vehicle so I took it to the dealership thinking it was the cracked fuel pump issue. To my surprise my fuel lines have actually rusted out completely. The lines running along the bottom of the car are in perfect condition, apparently there is a heat-shield near the back drivers side wheel up behind the inner fender that actually accelerates the corrosion of these lines (holding road salt and water).

I am just posting this as an FYI for everyone; might wanna get underneath and take a peek, wouldn't want to be left stranded. My G5 is a 2009 Coupe with 92,000 kms on it; pretty early to have this issue in my opinion.

Regards,

AJax

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that is the funny part.

Option 1 - Repair with Cobalt lines ($300) + additional labor to fabricate it to fit. Total Quote - $1,000
Option 2 - Repair with original line ($47) that is currently out of stock and 10 days away + labor - I didn't receive the total quote yet and have just advised them I would prefer it done correctly.

Option 2 is going to obviously cost less because of the cost of the parts and less time to "fabricate it to fit."

Regardless of the cost it is still a repair that shouldn't have to take place this early. The GM part number for this line is 25999914.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Wouldn't the Cobalt lines be the same?......
Depending on which model you bought, and what state it was sold in, the fuel tank varied slightly in size. I think the different emission control systems had something to do with this. If I were to guess, I'll bet the Cobalt lines they have might be slightly different than the ones on his G5.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what the difference is, but the part number for the Cobalt line is: 25948464. I was under the impression they would be the same parts but apparently they are not.

·
#low
1,537 Posts
Get the lines fabricated from scratch using cupro-nickel line, get it done right now and you wont have to do it again in 4 years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have them putting the factory line back on. Going to wait the 10 days. Just wanted to post in here to give everyone a heads up so it doesn't catch you by surprise like it did me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My G5 is a 2007 Coupe with 72,000 kms. Rusted fuel line in the same spot. I tried to get GM to cover it as a recall and they refused. I was quoted over $500 from the dealership just yesterday...so of course I'm go to have to go with the original set up that apparently wasn't very good to start with. If they are having so many of these issues, just seems like it should be a recall. I love my G5, just loving the situation.

·
#low
1,537 Posts
Why bother with factory lines. Its just going to do the same thing. Use a line that wont rust like suggested earlier. Cupro-Nickel is capable of handling high pressures, easy to work with and does not rust. Why even bother with steel anymore? Either nylon or cupro for me. My shop doesnt even stock steel line anymore.

Its around $3 a foot for the line and like I said, it can be bent easily by hand and you will NEVER have rusty lines again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
... Probably going to have to check this tonight, I have a 2009 G5 Coupe SE with 165,000km on it. Sometimes I can smell fuel but just figured she was running a little rich or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts