G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to a shop and priced out a system for my car. I was shocked when the price to install a $300 head unit turned into $800 with installation, parts, etc. The guy said it was beacuse of my Onstar. I knew i would have to spend more on a unit b/c of Onstar, but $500 for installation. Was he trying to rip me off, or is this common for the newer cars? I have no clue when it comes to audio. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
heres how my shop worked
-double din install/flip out 200.00-300 if fabrication is needed ours need it.
-2ch amp 65.00, 4 ch 100 etc.
-antenna adapter 10.00
-Kit 15 and up harness for our cars with steering controls onstar etc 95.00
but there can be more, what were you quoted on?

·
Registered
600 Posts
hey you can get all the parts you need on ebay for less then half of what they priced it out for!!! its worth it for the harness and electrical stuff u need for ur aftermarket deck, its costs alot cus alot of ur wires for air bags, door chimes etc goes thru ur deck... its gay i know, but the harness is pretty cheap on ebay, just find out the part number u need and look it up... if you want to drive up to edmonton i can get you all ur parts at cost from my work....

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was quoted on an amp, 10" sub, a Pioneer deck, 2 speakers, mounting stuff, wires and labour. In total it came to 1300 bucks.
No, my car doesnt have USB, just the accessories plug for my iPod.

I'll get an official quote, probably friday or satrday, cuz thats the only time i can do anything b/c of work.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Thats a pretty steep price for installation, my harness was $160 for my 07 w/o onstar. Let me know if you need a hand putting the deck/sub/amp in they are really not that hard in these cars.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, I wont be putting a system in the car for a long time guys. Back about 2 months ago I gave GM $900, so i can shorten the term up a bit. I was about to do it again, and i looked closer at my bank statements, and realized they hadnt been taking out my monthly payment.

I phoned, and they told I had paid that amount so I wouldnt have to make my payments for a few months. I was told at the dealership that this was not possible. Well, now they are taking 900 out again. That'll teach ,me to check my statements. Fuck. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Beware, I called gmac back in the beginning of december and told them to cancel the payment and only take the intrest. It worked out to be half my overall payment amount which was still $220 w/ 2.4% intrest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts