G5 Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13+ years old, 35+ mpg highway, been used as (a smaller version) any other vehicle. Gil is aging, but VERY gracefully! Getting him a new spare tire tomorrow.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,848 Posts
It really says something when you have to replace the spare tire! :) All in all, I think I've put about 800 miles on my spare tire. I just pumped it up the other day... I had a bad feeling for some reason, but fortunately it didn't materialize into anything.

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reportedly, the tire life was 10 years, and here I had a 13 year old tire as a spare. I was going to drive on it briefly while my rim got repaired, but it rolled horrifically out of balance...before leaving my development! So, instead of trying to get something old balanced that may fail from old age, I just went ahead and bought a new one outright. Turns out I couldn't buy the exact tire, as it was very expensive these days. My local shop got me something quite comprable, at a reasonable price, as well as slightly larger. That's slightly larger was a big sell, now my car sits nearly level with the spare on!

·
562 Posts
Damn good idea. I should check my spare just in case, but I also have CAA for worst case scenarios.

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And being able to avoid working that model-of-efficiency car jack?!? WUSS!

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

·
562 Posts
I've used that jack in the past on a few occasions for odds and ends but I also carry a breaker bar and some tools in my car all the time. Either way, if a tire goes flat while I'm out, damn right I'll have somebody else do it for me.

·
Administrator
12,848 Posts
Does it still fit nicely in the spare tire well, despite the larger size? One added benefit to having a larger spare is that you can probably mount it in the front if needed. I vaguely recall that if you have a front flat, you are supposed to move a tire up from the rear and put the spare on the rear.

·
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the advised method, IF you have the space/time. Otherwise, yeah, you can run it on the front, but be extra wary about greatly reduced handling, etc. The new tire is slightly wider, and maybe an inch or two more in diameter. Still fits in the bay, with a touch of room left. Cover isn't up any higher, either. Speed rated to 80mph, with a 50mph limit warning on the sidewall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts