G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets say i do some major performance mods such as the 2.2 turbo kit. will a 4 lug bolt pattern be able to hold up with all the extra torque? just curious.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
There is no "tested" 2.2L turbo so no worries in that dept yet.
there is actualy 2 that i know of. They have been rocking the turbo for 6 months now. no major issues.

·
Registered
649 Posts
When I say tested I mean for 15000K or 20000K - a turbo on any car for less then that is not "tested". These motors were not made for that power and our tranny's can not handle it over an extended period of time.

IMO - for the money being put out on the turbo shoulda just got a GT

·
Registered
341 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
When I say tested I mean for 15000K or 20000K - a turbo on any car for less then that is not "tested". These motors were not made for that power and our tranny's can not handle it over an extended period of time.

IMO - for the money being put out on the turbo shoulda just got a GT
gt is only about 25 hp more than the 2.2 with a turbo u will most likely be putting out like 100 hp similar to hahn's turbo for the 2.4's. if u put a turbo on a 2.2 the gt couldnt touch it unless it had a turbo as well

the gt model is not nessasarly made for power most people buy it for the looks

·
Registered
649 Posts
I know the GT is only rated for 25HP more - and I know that a GT couldn't touch a 2.2L turbo. What I am saying is the tranny in either car (without upgrades) cannot handle the boost from a turbo or s/c for any length of time. Anyone who invests in a turbo for either car should know that tranny upgrades are inevitable and these cars are soo new there is no telling what kind of problems he/she may run into in the future. Especially the 2.2L turbo - there isn't even a successful tuner out there yet.

All I am saying is to drop a turbo into a 2.2L is a lot of money down the road to fix the parts that don't hold up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
the getrag's are good trannys. i have been told from a gm tech that the engine and tranny should be good for anything around 8 psi from a turbo

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes - good tranny's and yes 8 psi which is not a whole lot.

I just don't think you get what I am talking about. If you want a car for power the G5 is not it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Theres a guy with a supercharged 2.2 cobalt thats already had to replace the transmission. I'm sure you would have to replace the tranny, but I haven't done on a whole lot of research on it yet.

·
Registered
439 Posts
F1 cars only use one lug nut. I really only associate the number of lugs to payload issues, not keeping wheels on car issues.

The more payload a vehicle is designed to carry the more lugs. % lugs are good up to a half ton truck. 3/4 ton's need more 1 ton's more and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
97 Posts
06blackbeauty said:
the getrag's are good trannys. i have been told from a gm tech that the engine and tranny should be good for anything around 8 psi from a turbo
That tech hasn't done his homework at all. The getrag found in our cars is built to withstand 170lbs-ft of torque as listed at the GM Powertrain website. Any more than that and it's life expectancy dwindles. The auto tranny found in our cars can actually handle 205lbs-ft. Why is this? Because GM built it to also be used with the V6 in Grand Ams, Aleros and Malibus. In case you guys hadn't noticed, Hahn's prototype is an auto for that very reason.

So if you're planning on a turbo, get the tranny beefed up.

·
Registered
407 Posts
yeah and the auto is computer controlled so the shifts are made at optimum times therefore reducing stress to the trans. Just reducing not eliminating, I agree that internal work would need to be done for our trans to handle that much power over an extended period of time, I know my old MX-6 turbo, had high quality hardened steel gears, specially designed to withstand the torque, as it was rated as 145hp, and 190ft/lb torque......But, I believe the ecotec could handle the power of a turbo at a reasonable PSI level of course, not 14psi, but something around 8 - 10si peak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine internals are good all the way up to 250hp.

I don't think anyone who's willing to spend 3-4k on a turbo is going to shy away from a little tranny work.

·
Registered
314 Posts
well all i know is that the 2.2 ecotec is sturdier than the 2.4. am i wrong? lol i say u test it and tell us = ).

but anyways for a 2.2 turbo i think your only gona go up to about 190 195 at most.

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
I just don't think you get what I am talking about. If you want a car for power the G5 is not it.
What reason do you have to back this up? The g5 is meant to be modified to go faster. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about or mabye your crazy.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts