G5 Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2007 g5 stick, my stepdad is giving me his g8 5 lug rims looking to figure out if theres any adapters that will fit or what i need to do.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
Won't fit. G5 fitment is 5x110, however with modifications you can go 5x114. G8GT rims are 5x120.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i found adapters 4x100 - 5x120 online they are meant for vws but did research and they seem to be able to fit, does the g5 wheel well have enough room for the wheels? the adapters are also 1.5 inches thick so it would bring the wheels out more

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
You have the base model then. Hmmm.
Well, you're expanding the difference between the center of the hub to where the lug nut would go by 2cm. Won't seem like much, but that's added rotational difference/mass which will throw your speedometer off by a larger percentage. On top of the width/length increase as well, going from 16x7 to 18x8. You should be all right with a 205 tire width, up to 225, but with the addition of the adapter, you could be poking your tire out too far (depending on where you live, there are laws for how much they can poke out) and be rubbing against the fender on tighter turns. The larger tire size would also throw off your speedometer by an additional margin.

I guess it could be doable, but my speculation resides on safety.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you're expanding the difference between the center of the hub to where the lug nut would go by 2cm. Won't seem like much, but that's added rotational difference/mass which will throw your speedometer off by a larger percentage. On top of the width/length increase as well, going from 16x7 to 18x8. You should be all right with a 205 tire width, up to 225, but with the addition of the adapter, you could be poking your tire out too far (depending on where you live, there are laws for how much they can poke out) and be rubbing against the fender on tighter turns. The larger tire size would also throw off your speedometer by an additional margin.

that was probably the best answer i could have gotten, i will see if i can find an adapter at 25 mm or 1 inch to see if it stays more inside the wheel well more, living in california im guessing they have an issue with that (just like everything in california lol)

i can also do some modifications so that the wheels dont rub on tighter turns just gotta cut some things, i would love to try this because i havent seen anyone put g8 wheels on a g5 yet without having to fully rebuild everything to make it fit

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I would just measure the tire size you're thinking against the hub via height and depth before install. If you do have some room, I would in addition lay out a piece of cardboard using a protractor to measure tire angles and compare that to your current setup. This way you'll know for sure whether it would work or not, and if would indeed have any rubbing issues.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea; Holden rims usually look pretty nice, and getting free good looking rims would prompt the research. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts