G5 Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into adding a factory cruise control. I have seen posts about others buying an entirely new steering wheel that is made for the GT, but I was wondering if it was possible to put the G5 GT buttons on the base model, along with a wiring harness, in order to gain factory cruise control on my vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Yes, you can just buy the buttons. However, you might have a hard time getting the dealership to activate the cruise control feature in the BCM for you. What year is your G5?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It's actually cheaper to just get the new steering wheel on ebay than buy the wire harness and buttons HaHa!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I believe GM actually issued a bulletin all dealerships to stop turning cruise control on for customers. Although, I'm sure some dealerships will still do it. You'll pay labor costs, more than likely. Which, for some dealerships, is ~$100/hr.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My base model '08 has an "info" button on the left side of the wheel. When I swap the steering wheel to one with cruise and audio controls, what happens to the info button? I don't want to lose that function.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
My base model '08 has an "info" button on the left side of the wheel. When I swap the steering wheel to one with cruise and audio controls, what happens to the info button? I don't want to lose that function.
Nothing happens to it, it works like it is supposed to.
There is a new info button with the cruise and audio controls. There are five buttons on the left side of the steering wheel... the main cruise on/off button is on the left, and then there are four buttons stacked next to it. The top button is for cruise accelerate, then cruise decelerate, then the info button, and then reset button is last. The buttons in the right side of the steering wheel mirror those on the left, with the main button being the mute switch, and then the stacked buttons control the volume and presets.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I swapped my steering wheel for a leather wrapped one with cruise and audio controls. The info and audio controls all work immediately, which is nice. I still need to find a place with a tech II tool to turn on the cruise. Dealer what's my first born to "figure out" how to turn it on. It's a 10 min job. :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts