G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everybody!!

I have a quick question, I want to put 2 12" subs in my car, but I want to keep the factory headunit. Is this possible? I have the pioneer system so could I just run the lines going to the pioneer into my new amp then to the subs? Also I might change out all the speakers cept the tweeters. Are the pioneer speakers 2 ohms? I wanted to add an amp for the 4 front speakers so I could just run the speaker wires to the amp then from the amp back to the speakers right? I love the factory headunit and I hate the look of aftermarket systems but I love the way they sound. Would what I am proposeing work at all?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
There is a way to do it - high output option on your amp - most higher quality amps have a wiring harness that you can connect to your rear speakers OR a line level converter. This will allow you to use the factory headunit.

As for the speaker swap - my recommendation is, unless you are going to be doing competitions for SQ I would leave them in until you have to replace them. They do work off of 2ohms I believe. If you wanted to run the speakers off of another amp (other then the factory one) you would have to do some re-wiring of the harness that attaches to the back of the factory headunit. The speakers are wired through the harness. If it were an aftermarket head unit that would be easy to do, but since you are still using the stock headunit it might be a little more complicated. Since they are already amp'd why change it?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
right now I am running just a single 10" alpine type r sub with 600watts rms powering it with the stock headunit and the factory pioneer sound system i would say leave the mid's and tweets alone they sound great as it is unless you are a huge sq fanatic, also for my amp I have a remote bass boost knob which i find is quite handy since it gives you more options to customize your bass with the stock headunit

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah the only thing is that with my sub. going at about half volume, my deck at about 7/8ths volume my sub amp shuts off for a couple seconds than turns back on by then i have the volume turned right down out of the 2 other amps i have had (Visonik and Kenwood) this is the first one to do that

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
its either not getting enough power to the amp, its overheating because your trying to drive the amp too hard, or the speaker impedance is too low (which causes overheating)

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
i know the amp is getting enough power i have got 1 farad cap for a little extra juice which i find helps alot, i doubt its the impedance i think since the amp is getting signal through the rear speaker leads when you turn the system up so loud the stock amp distorts a bit which makes the amp go into protection

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
look in the amps manual and see the current draw of your amp. a capacitor helps, but it will not increase the amperage that your amp gets, it will just help prevent negative spikes in power. i believe that we have 105 amp alternators and the general rule is 40% is free so your amp should be drawing less than 45 amps, otherwise that could be whats causing the problems. if its not getting enough power, it causes the amp to try to work harder, which in turn causes the amp to heat up, which causes it to go into the "safe mode" and time out.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
my amp is a Pioneer Premier PRD-D1000M i am looking at the manual right now for current consumption it says 39A (at continuous power 4ohms) then for average current drawn it says 20 A 2ohms 1 channel maybe i should just call the dealer when i have some time and ask them wtf is going on even with my bass boost and deck bass at half volume and overall music volume a little past 3/4 it shouldn't be doing this

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since there is only 1 sub, should both the RL and RR wires be combined? Also, do I need to splice it somewhere before the amp, or is the amp built into the sub?

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
depending on the amp you're using, you most likely have a high level input. this input has a connector with four connections:

Left +/-
Right +/-

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
a high level converter is a box you would tap into your speaker leads which converts them into rca's so you can hook up an after market amp with out an after market head unit

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
i have the premium pioneer stereo in my car and when i had my stereo professionally installed the installers installed my high level converter they took out my stock sub hooked up the line level converter to the subwoofer wires

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a wire in my trunk that I can use as a remote wire for my amp? Right now its running to one under the passenger seat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts