G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
uhh yaa so i bought a shift knob a while ago and could not figur how to get the stock one off so i took it back ( the shift knob)
and my friend has a 2007 coblat and he just put one on and said that he had to pull off the center counsil and cut 2 wire ties? not really sure let me kno?????

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
LMAO, wayyyy too much work....

theres a small plastic ring where the bottom of the knob and boot meet. just squeeze and turn the ring and pull the boot down. When the boot is out of the way, pull one of the clips on the shifter knob and it'll slip right off.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
haha now i know what i am doing tomorrow :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
yeah just pull the boot down and you'll feel a plastic ring, turn it 1/4 turn and pull down ... the boot should then come all the way down the shaft and expose the metal shifter... yank the sucker up (by sucker i mean stock knob) and bam :) i used electrical tape to hold the boot up after i was done ... just wrapped it around the shaft and pulled the boot up over it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
tank said:
yeah just pull the boot down and you'll feel a plastic ring, turn it 1/4 turn and pull down ... the boot should then come all the way down the shaft and expose the metal shifter... yank the sucker up (by sucker i mean stock knob) and bam :) i used electrical tape to hold the boot up after i was done ... just wrapped it around the shaft and pulled the boot up over it.
Yank it off? Tank, you're a violent lil bastard :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tank said:

ya i just put my new knob on and the boot wont stay up how did you get it to stay up with electricla tape? any pics...

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
I used double sided tape.. but yeah it doesn't hold as good as it did before.

it looks better than that now, on that pic the boot was too high and was hiding some of the chrome trim of the shifter

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
went and took a look at some knobs today and didn't really like anything i seen, but my buddy gave me another idea to paint the silver part of the knob the color of my car

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
fusiongt said:
went and took a look at some knobs today and didn't really like anything i seen, but my buddy gave me another idea to paint the silver part of the knob the color of my car
Thats a pretty cool idea. I actually dissembled mine out of boredom just to see if it can be done. All the pieces come apart pretty easily, so you can paint just that silver part. PM me if you can't figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
that could be a sunday or monday project lol since i still have some orange paint kickin around from when i painted my calipers :D

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
thanks for the info! might have to go paint the silver black now... that is one of the last areas to be done. then I jsut need to do the trim ring around the shifter.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
stock one sucks, it's way too light and way too long

get a weighted short knob, you won't regret the investment, think about the hours your hand will spend resting on it and the thousands shifts you'll make more pleasurable :twisted:

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you want something really custom in the rat rod sort of tradition, you could get a VanChase shifter, their site seems to be down but you can find them at http://www.ratfink.org/vanchase/index.html maybe not the best suited to this car, but they're great looking and it's another option.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts