G5 Club banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

Β·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Just looking at the codes makes me think it's gotta be a wiring issue. Total shot in the dark but P0122 & P0223 look like they could be mismatched, and the others being with the internal circuit where the pedal sensor actually connects to since its reading high and low, but im a noob so, shot in the dark. Hopefully switching out the Throttle body will clear up some of your codes
This is what I was thinking after the mechanic was telling me what was going on. I also spoke to Ryan at ZZPerformance who said we should try to erase all the codes first and then retry starting the car and letting it cycle through a case learn...but it sure sounds like a faulty throttle body. Rediculous, because it was brand new GM part in the box...but these things happen.

Β·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The last time I heard ANYTHING about the car was on December 17th, 2021 at 10:49 am, which was via a text. I messaged the guy back with a bunch of information that I gathered for him (from the interwebs and from ZZPerformance). I have not gotten a reply and am pretty disgusted!!!

I will admit, I should have taken care of this LONG AGO!!! ...but my father suggested I take the car to his friend (this guy). I dropped the car off on September 30th, my father passed away 16 days later and things have been kind of hectic / CRaZy. Plus, with the holidays, travelling and CoVID, it has not been as easy as I would have liked it to be around here. Since this time, my sister (where she and I were close) pretty much stopped talking. She unfriended me and my GF on FB after she and I had a heated argument regarding what has happening for the holidays.

On top of that, I have been trying to run my office and take care of some of my fathers estate, organize his car / toy / old tool hoard in his basement (seriously, he has an entire 1960 Pontiac disassembled in his basement, as well as various old parts from Chevrolet, Packard, Ford and Chryslers strewn all over. A few weekends ago, I threw away 145 old accessory and lawn mower belts).

So, there has been a LOT going on.

It seems to me, if I don't initiate the conversation by STOPPING at this guys shop, I hear NOTHING from him (he is not only the mechanic, but the owner too). I just sent him a message telling him I'm removing the car from his shop (finished or not) on Friday. This will be 15 weeks he has had the car. Apparently, the car does now run (?!?), but doesn't stay running for long. I'm not 100% sure, as I have NOT heard or seen the car in about a month.

Β·
Registered
'Gremlin' the 07 G5GT (913L)
62 Posts
That sucks man, hopefully everything works out for ya. Hopefully this next guy can get it running

Β·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Well....I did get my car back, but WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! I will never do business with this (-explicative-) guy or shop ever again.

So, I contacted the owner / mechanic of the auto repair shop on Monday the 10th. I never heard back from him. I'm going to post our ENTIRE text conversation and you guys tell me if I was unreasonable in ANY way???

To preface this, I had to stop into this guy's shop, because he wouldn't return my calls. I didn't stop in every week, but I'd say I dropped by at least 5 or 6 times in the 15 weeks he had the car. This guy was also supposed to be a friend of my fathers (who passed away on October 15th, 2021). I did inform him about my fathers passing and when / where the memorial was going to be. He never showed up; but the very next time I saw him, he had an excuse he got a bad haircut...πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ...I didn't notice it (buty whatev's...).

The text messaging began in December because he said I had left him a message, but he didn't get it until a week later. I've had that happen, so I'll give him that. Instead, he started texting me to keep everything straight. Still, I must have told him 5 times, the ECM was reprogrammed by ZZPerformance, but it was NOT an aggressive tune. It was their v 1.0 (base version) which basically optimized some shift points and allowed the car to use the larger LSJ Throttle body. The 8-pin to 8-pin adapter was installed, as was the LSJ Throttle Body adapter...but if you put the car back to stock, it would still run, but it would be sluggish during WOT. I supplied him with the number for ZZPerformance if he needed to call them. I have NEVER had a bad experience with ZZP and they are VERY knowledgable about this platform.

Here is our entire text conversation (notice the dates):

Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Electric blue

Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue Number

Product Output device Communication Device Gadget Font

Communication Device Gadget Font Screenshot Display device

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Terrestrial plant

Font Screenshot Parallel Magenta Number

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Electric blue

This message was sent on Monday, January 10th
πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

This was left Friday January 14th
πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

Β·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
I was waiting at his shop last Friday (the 14th or January) for about 2 hours, when I was talking to my girlfriend. She decided she would call from one of her phones (she has a personal phone and one for work). She looked up the phone number that was listed online for his shop (same as the one I was using). She called Tom and got through on the second ring. She had him on speaker, so I was able to listen to their entire conversation-especially when he said which auto parts store he was going to. I then tried to call Tom, which wasn't even 30 seconds later. His phone rang and went to voicemail. I left his shop and headed to the auto parts store to confront him. I may be 100% wrong; maybe I'm CRaZy, but I felt at this point, he was completely avoiding me.

I got to that auto parts store at 4:20 pm and waited for him inside. I asked a guy at the counter if Tom had been in to pick up his parts. The guy said Tom didn't have any parts ordered that he knew of, but he's have to look. I told him he ddin't have to look. At this poiunt, my girlfriend drove to his shop and waited across the street. Around 4:40, I got a call from her, telling me a black SUV pulled into his parking lot. I gave her a discription of what I could remember his truck looked like and she said it was definitely him, as he just inlocked the door and went inside. I started to head back (4:43 pm), but I was a good 15 minutes away. He turned off his lights and "open" sign so my GF drove over and confronted him. She knocked on his door and told him who she was and that I had been trying to get in contact with him. This time, I was on speaker phone with her and I heard him tell her in a VERY snyde voice, "I have to get going, he can call me." It was at this time I pulled in and blocked his truck from leaving. He went back inside, she came over by me. I had heard everything and went to enter his shop...but the door was locked. I knocked on his door. He answered and tried to be all nice.

Tom: "Hey man, I tried to call, but...."
I interrupted him and said, "I've called you NINE times today. You never ONCE answered the phone".
Tom: "my phone needd to charge and was in my truck."
Me; "That's BullS_t, because you answered her call on the second ring and I tried to call you, not even 30 seconds later."
Tom: "Well, i...
Me: "In fact, I haven't heard from you in...now 4 weeks. I told you on Monday I was comiung in TODAY to pick up my car...and don't give me some line about how busy you've been, You were purposely avoiding me. I heard the entire conversation with her. I want my car back...that's all."

Things de-escalated from there. I don't think he liked the fact I cornered him because he stared calling me names and that I owed him $$$. I said, "Good, how much do I owe you?" Of course, he had no answer for that. At this point, he picked up a crowbar and ordered me out of his shop. My GF was recording the whole incdent and I informed him I was calling the police. WIthin 3 minutes they had showed up. The guy (Tom) refused to give me my car-even though I had CASH and wanted to pay for whatever he had done on my car. The shop owner then started yelling at the police and things got worse. Luckily, I was outside and we (my gf and I) were showing the other police officers the video of him, my phone log and text messaging. We could hear him screaming at the other officers inside...

The shop owner said he would give me my car the following morning, but wouldn't let me go in, take pictures of my car, -OR- lock up my car / take the keys. I said I woudn't leave until I was able to take my car or lock it up, so he couldn't damage it. The police were trying to resolve the situation peacefully, but that wasn't going to happen. In fact, there was one officer there who said to me, this was the FIRST time he had to respond to a situation where a disgruntled custmer WANTED to pay for the services and the shop owner refused to accept payment...and he was a cop for 20 years.

Eventually, I was allowed to go into his shop. As I was walking past the front counter, I took MY keys and headed over tot he car. I took a video and took several pictures. Then I rolled up my window, locked the doors and closed the hood. This REALLY angered the shop owner, Tom because he said, "That F___er doesn't have the right to do that.". There was a female officer who said back to him, "What...he can't have the keys to his own car and lock the door on his own car?".

I knew Tom was pissed. I didn't even look at him as I was walked past him to exit his shop; when he started calling me a Effen Pri_k and a Fag_ot. I stopped for a moment and thought about standing my ground and demanding I get my car then and now...but I opted to walk to the front door. I then said in reply, "Are you asking me about that for yourself, or for.... (then using my fingers for air quotation marks)....'a friend'." His face went completely red and I think that set him off even more. Tom started calling me more names and it got so bad, I heard the lady cop tell him to shut up and to stop talking.

The following day was no better. We agree'd, I would return on Saturday morning at 8 am to pay and get my car. My buddy, Ray went with me and we managed to park around the corner from this guy's shop at 7:50. The first officer got there shortly after me. At 7:55 I was asked by another officer to go over to the shop. We drove into his lot and I went in to pay my bill. It was amazing to me, because the shop owner and the one cop were already yelling at one another. So, not even 5 minutes and this guy, Tom was alredy under the one cop's skin and the other cop wasn't very happy with him either.

Anyway, I managed to get my car back, I was only charged around $400. I paid it in cash, which was STILL an ordeal. The shop owner was yelling at me because I wrote the date on the bill next to my name. Then after telling the officers they couldn't go into the back of the shop, he wanted them to push my car outside. The officer who was most irritated was like,
Irritated Cop: "First you say 'nobody can go into the shop area because of his insurance rules, but then you want me to go back into your shop?"
Tom: "Well, you can go outside and come in the garage door?"
Irritated Cop: "No, you pushed the car to the garage door, you can finish it by pushing the car outside."
Tom: "I might hurt my back, so..."
Irritated Cop: "BullS_t!!! You pushed it 30 feet already, you're going to take your @__ back there and push it another 5 feet out the G__D__ door, or then you and I are going to have another problem!"

Amazingly, the car was pushed outside, nobody's back was injured and I got my car loaded onto a trailer. I then drove my buddy home...

...who couldn't believe what was going on. He was as dumbfounded as I was.
Honestly, I think this shop owner has some sort of issues going on at home or in his personal life, because he was completely irrational. He would say one thing and immediately change around what he said. Like, "you cannot come into the shop area", but in the next breath say, "I want you two to come back into my shop and push a car outside."

I can imagine, anyone reading this has GOT to be thinking, there is something I am not telling, or something else must have happened prior to this. Believe me, I would like to know too. I have no idea what caused him to avoid me or why I needed to go to these extremes to get my car back!

Mind you, I dropped off my car at his shop on September 30th, 2021. Last Friday was 15 weeks and one day that he had my car. I had informed Tom, I only had access to my dead fathers truck until the end of December...which I managed to get my family to allow me to use it until the end of January. I was/am paying the insurance on 2 vehicles, getting 13 mpg's (at over $3/gallon) in a 2011 Pickup Truck, instead of driving my own car, paying insurance on just it and getting at least 2X better gas mileage.

Β·
Registered
'Gremlin' the 07 G5GT (913L)
62 Posts
That's crazy as hell, atleast you got your car back though. I would say Im surprised at the audacity of this dude, but I've definitely run into a few guys who were that shady. How many T/Bs did he even "check"? If the next guy gets it running in a week or so, I'm willing to bet Tom was just tryna get more money outta you by 'chasing electrical gremlins'

Β·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
That's crazy as hell, atleast you got your car back though. I would say Im surprised at the audacity of this dude, but I've definitely run into a few guys who were that shady.

I feel he was in over his head and didn't know what to do with the car. I called a friend of a friend who is aASE Mechanic, who told me about a service bullitin on these cars, where the fuse panel gets corroded. The car will start throwing all kinds of codes for no apparent reason.

How many T/Bs did he even "check"? If the next guy gets it running in a week or so, I'm willing to bet Tom was just tryna get more money outta you by 'chasing electrical gremlins'
I have 3 for this car. He said he tested all 3. One was the OEM 2.4 litre, the other 2 are LSJ throttle bodies, where one was used, but working. The other was G.M. new-in-the-box. Out of all of these, the only one was testing high TPS % open, and this was the brand new GM 2.0 T/B...but not so high that it was really far out of the normal range. Normal is 25 to 27 degrees and this was at 31. It might not have even been calibrated; due to the fact it was installed on a car that never ran correctly.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts