G5 Club banner

Should I put my 07 G5 on air bags?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after looking through the site I did not find anyone who has done this. I can get a complete airride systems, chrome tank, 2 compressors, all fittings and hoses, plus custom bracket for extremely cheap. What are everyones thoughts are sitting my everyday ride on bags? Offer I cant refuse for the kit. Anyone do this before?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't do it. You'll have major rear suspension work to do. Look up info about the ethanol Cobalt that hit 156 at the 2006 speedweek on the Bonneville Salt Flats. It's not worth the time and headaches. If the deal is good I'd buy the stuff then turn around and sell it for more. Then you will have more money for modding.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get the entire kit for about 500 shipped to my door. Everything included. I thought the rear suspension it was just a matter of replacing the spring with the bag in its place. I told him I want to do some more research before I say yes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
njg5gt said:
you're going to have a lot of shit in your trunk for this to work as well. not worth it IMO
Having the stuff in my trunk is not a problem. Im not concerned too much about trunk space.

As far as a lot of work on rear suspension. I thought it would pretty much bolt up. Kit comes with custom made brackets for mounting the rear bags.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
domin8 said:
Don't do it. You'll have major rear suspension work to do. Look up info about the ethanol Cobalt that hit 156 at the 2006 speedweek on the Bonneville Salt Flats. It's not worth the time and headaches. If the deal is good I'd buy the stuff then turn around and sell it for more. Then you will have more money for modding.

I did some research and did not find any information on the suspension on that car. Have any links to help me out. Kit has custom brackets for mounting and should not need any modification.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump. Anyone else have opinions on this? I talked to some other people who have installed them on their cars. Pretty much bolted in place.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
i think it's kind of a waste of time and money, just because springs and coilovers are almost as good, and seem to be less of a hassle. however, if you're dead set on air ride and are getting a good deal, then go for it. It's your ride. Make sure to post up pics when you get it installed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will get the kit. Can't let this offer pass by. Chances are I wont install it until spring though, unless I can find a garage to work in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pics update

Here is what I was told is in the kit.

Everything is brand new. The kit is Universal Air's HHR-Cobalt kit! Sleeve over strut bags, single bellow rear bags, all fittings, 50ft 1/2 inch line, 5 Gallon chrome tank, water seperator for air line, Chrome 9 switch control box w/ valet key to lock air ride controls, 4 2 way valves, 2 Viair silver 380 compressors. Zach at Universal Air custom made the brackets to sit about an inch lower then most other bag set-ups for the Cobalts.

Here are a few pics I already have of some of the components.
Here are two shots of the bags.

The Control Box

Water serperator for the lines

and one of the 2 way valves

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I'd say go for it... In the end, only your opinion matters. I personally would love to do it... winter--ride high over the snow. Summer... ride low. When going through parking lots, you'll be able to raise yourself before going over a speed bump. Can't do that when you've just lowered yourself w/o airbags can ya?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I finally got the kit in the mail today. Have the fittings and struts on their way still. Going to be an awesome project to get done. Here is a pic of what i have so far.

Here are the rims Im thinking about getting to go on at the same time. Not sure which ones though. Leaning towards the first ones.

·
Registered
63 Posts
should be a sweet set up once it's done, good luck with it, can't wait to see it finished, oh and if u decide not to do it i'd gladly take the kit off ur hands lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts