Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Name: Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs

Type of Modification: Performance

Price:

Product Rating:

Where you bought it:

I haven't found any small car engine that didn't improve from installing Bosch Platinum 2, or Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs. So far I've installed them in my 1991 Dodge Shadow Convertible, 2004 Nissan Frontier pickup, and now my 2007 2.2 L G5.

Most claims for aftermarket plugs are exagerated, and they have little effect. The Bosch Platinum 2 and +4 are different they work, and you can measure the difference with your Butt Dyno. That's right, if you can't feel it in the seat of the pants, it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

Those plugs don't have much effect on large engines, probably because the engines make so much power, a small gain shows no effect. They do improve smaller engines, up to 2.5 L, or maybe even larger.

I removed the old fashioned Delco platinum plugs from my G5 and installed the +4 Bosch, #4482, and immediately saw smoother idle and more power, which means better gas mileage. It isn't a whole lot of gain, but you definitely can tell the difference.

The Bosch Plantinum +4 plugs retail in most places for $6.99 each; not too bad when you consider it won't take too long for them to pay for themselves at today's gas prices. (There is a 1 dollar per plug mail in rebate right now, but I didn't bother with it.)

The plugs are matched to your car, and only the proper part number is suitable. The gap is set at the factory, so all you have to do is install them. Use four #4482 for the 2.2L G5 engine.

(Installation is relatively simple if you have some mechanical ability. If not, get them installed professionally. The main problem with installing them yourself is that the plugs are down deep in the cylinder head, and it requires a spark plug socket with a rubber interior to hold the plug. Also, you must either have a long reach spark plug socket, or tape your existing spark plug socket to an extension handle. Otherwise, you can't withdraw the socket after you install the plug, because the socket will stay stuck on the plug, and the extension will pull out of the socket. I beat that problem by securely fastening the socket to the extension handle with electrical tape so it won't slip off and leave the socket down in the head. After I did that it was a piece of cake. Still, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you know what you are doing.)

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/ ... tinum4.htm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bosch Plugs

Dartbaron,

I've had really good luck with the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs. I did buy the +4 set for my new G5. I believe that you're right about the difference between them. The +4 plugs probably don't have a great advantage over the Platinum 2 plugs. I'd buy the Platinum 2 or the +4 even if they cost 10 dollars each. To me they're worth it.

My Frontier pickup climbs long grades in 5th gear where I used to use 4th before I changed to Bosch 2. The truck came equipped with regular NGK Platinum plugs, and it had about 15,000 miles on it when I changed to the Bosch Platinum 2.

I immediately noticed improvement in the G5 when I changed to the Bosch +4 plugs, like I did with the other vehicles.

Regular Bosch Platinum plugs seem to be about the same as any other good plug, but the Platinum 2 and the +4 make a difference.

Usually, anything not too radical that you can do to an engine giving it more power also gives it more miles per gallon, unless you drive with your foot in it. The best power setting and the best economy setting are usually the same thing.

Skinjob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bosch plugs are junk. My old shop stopped using them because of so many comebacks. We started using NGK and AC delco and boom, no more plug related comebacks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bosch spark plugs are standard equipment in German cars and motorcycles. The Germans don't put "junk" in their cars.

I've used Bosch plugs for over 20 years, and I've never had even one bad plug. That included my Volkswagens, Audi, and BMW 1000cc motorcycle.

Every vehicle of 2500cc or less has shown a marked increase in power and gas mileage by using Bosch Platinum +2 or Bosch Platinum + 4.

I've had Champion plugs fail right out of the box, and the same for NGK.

Currently I'm running my 2004 Nissan Frontier with Bosch Platinum +2, and my G5 with the +4s. Both vehicles run better with the Bosch plugs. The biggest kick in power and gas mileage came when I installed +2s in my Dodge convertible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Skinjob said:
Bosch spark plugs are standard equipment in German cars and motorcycles. The Germans don't put "junk" in their cars.

I've used Bosch plugs for over 20 years, and I've never had even one bad plug. That included my Volkswagens, Audi, and BMW 1000cc motorcycle.

Every vehicle of 2500cc or less has shown a marked increase in power and gas mileage by using Bosch Platinum +2 or Bosch Platinum + 4.

Currently I'm running my 2004 Nissan Frontier with Bosch Platinum +2, and my G5 with the +4s. Both vehicles run better with the Bosch plugs. The biggest kick in power and gas mileage came when I installed +2s in my Dodge convertible.
Do you have anything to back up your claim?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Skinjob said:

First off, show me documented proof that those plugs increase power. You simply will not be able to because even Bosch themselves are too smart to advertise that. The only real feature of the +4 is that in theory, it should last longer because it has more electrodes than a regular plug. Put as many electrodes on it as you want, you won't increase power because you aren't getting more than one spark at a time. That's reality not hype. Anybody remember "Splitfire?" LOL.

Secondly, in "20 years" of using Bosch plugs you've changed about as many as we did in one week. Thirdly, 20 years is pointless also because OBD II has only been around for just over a decade. Before OBDII, neither you or I would have any idea a plug is misfiring unless it was hooked up to an engine scope.

We've had Champions fail right out of the box. We've had NGK comebacks in some GM vehicles and since then we will only use AC platinums in GM cars because they were designed for GM's high energy ignition system.

Trust me, my job was to make customers happy. To make a customer happy, that means no comeback for the same problem. To make sure there is no comeback, make sure Bosch was not used.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can't feel the difference and see the difference in mileage, then it isn't there as far as I'm concerned. Bosch +2 and +4 deliver. All the other brands are old fashioned technology warmed over.

The best cars in the world run on Bosch spark plugs, and Bosch spark plugs have been around for over 100 years.

My timeline is long, and I've seen all the snake oil automotive products come and go, like those plugs called "Fire Injectors", "Split Fire", and others. Like I say, Bosch has been around building high energy systems and spark plugs for over a hundred years. In fact, Bosch built some pretty good magnetos, which put other ignition systems to shame in their time.

Bosch plugs work better than the rest, and they are under attack for that reason. Once people find out that they get more power, and better gas mileage from Bosch +2 and +4, they aren't going to buy anymore of that over advertised real junk, ND, NGK, Champion, AC, Delco, Autolite, Prestolite, and all those Chinese plugs that are out there now. In fact, the Chinese probably make those AC Delco plugs.

I've driven with Bosch plugs in various vehicles for over 300,000 miles, and Bosch +2 and +4 rule.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
AC Delco stuff is made in mexico thank you! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Skinjob said:
If you can't feel the difference and see the difference in mileage, then it isn't there as far as I'm concerned. Bosch +2 and +4 deliver. All the other brands are old fashioned technology warmed over.

The best cars in the world run on Bosch spark plugs, and Bosch spark plugs have been around for over 100 years.

My timeline is long, and I've seen all the snake oil automotive products come and go, like those plugs called "Fire Injectors", "Split Fire", and others. Like I say, Bosch has been around building high energy systems and spark plugs for over a hundred years. In fact, Bosch built some pretty good magnetos, which put other ignition systems to shame in their time.

Bosch plugs work better than the rest, and they are under attack for that reason. Once people find out that they get more power, and better gas mileage from Bosch +2 and +4, they aren't going to buy anymore of that over advertised real junk, ND, NGK, Champion, AC, Delco, Autolite, Prestolite, and all those Chinese plugs that are out there now. In fact, the Chinese probably make those AC Delco plugs.

I've driven with Bosch plugs in various vehicles for over 300,000 miles, and Bosch +2 and +4 rule.
What ever you say...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Skinjob said:

LOL. You go ahead and continue your love affair with Bosch. The rest of us who know better will stay away from them.

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
McG said:
Skinjob said:

First off, show me documented proof that those plugs increase power. You simply will not be able to because even Bosch themselves are too smart to advertise that. The only real feature of the +4 is that in theory, it should last longer because it has more electrodes than a regular plug. Put as many electrodes on it as you want, you won't increase power because you aren't getting more than one spark at a time. That's reality not hype. Anybody remember "Splitfire?" LOL.

Secondly, in "20 years" of using Bosch plugs you've changed about as many as we did in one week. Thirdly, 20 years is pointless also because OBD II has only been around for just over a decade. Before OBDII, neither you or I would have any idea a plug is misfiring unless it was hooked up to an engine scope.

We've had Champions fail right out of the box. We've had NGK comebacks in some GM vehicles and since then we will only use AC platinums in GM cars because they were designed for GM's high energy ignition system.

Trust me, my job was to make customers happy. To make a customer happy, that means no comeback for the same problem. To make sure there is no comeback, make sure Bosch was not used.
LOL I agree the only advantage to 2 or 4 electrodes is to keep the gap correct for longer period of time.
I sell auto parts and will always recomend AC for any GM vehicle and advise my customers anything else will not work as good in a GM vehicle.
LOL, but that is my opinion and looks like a few other people too :!:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cherry GT said:
I sell auto parts and will always recommend AC for any GM vehicle and advise my customers anything else will not work as good in a GM vehicle.
LOL, but that is my opinion and looks like a few other people too :!:
Your opinion is based on widespread industry knowledge rather than a handful of cars you've owned. Just like mine is based on almost a decade in the auto repair industry as opposed to what cars I've owned.

There is a huge difference. The larger the sample, the more accurate the conclusion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts