G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon after I rolled off the lot, say a few weeks, I noticed the front wheels getting darker than the rears. I couldn't believe it! I didn't think I was braking that hard, that often. I thought I had worn the brakes in real nice, and still they gunked up the wheel. Anyone not wait and changed out the pads to something better than stock? I'm keeping my eyes on some ceramic pads.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah brake dust sucks. You can buy pads that will virtually leave no dust, but I think they're pretty expensive. Not really worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah i have a brush i bought from canadian tire that scrubs out the rim pretty good but i am sure an sos pad would do the same thing if not a better job for cleaning out the brake dust

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I can tell ya thats normal.. especially right off the lot or just after a brake job they're suppose to tell you to "taker' easy" for the first month on the brakes or first 1000kms

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think an SOS pad would be very good on painted alloy rims. I use a sponge with safe-for-clearcoat bug srubbing plastic to clean the wheels. I can get everywhere inside, but need to roll the wheels about a 1/4 turn to get to the part that was by the brake caliper. And, yes to the 'wear-in' caution on the brakes. They didn't tell me about it, but I already knew about no heavy stops for about 500 miles; kept it all smooth and gentle. I also know about the tires, that the solution used to mount them and set the bead needs to dry. Any agressive force on the tire could make it slip and turn on the wheel, completley throwing off the balance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm solving my problem, i got black wheels ordered now, i should of had them on yesterday but the shop got the ones for a regular g5 and not the gt so it's gonna take a week or so for them to show up :cry:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
DartBaron said:
I also know about the tires, that the solution used to mount them and set the bead needs to dry. Any agressive force on the tire could make it slip and turn on the wheel, completley throwing off the balance.
I've worked at a tire shop and thats not true, unless they're mounting them with grease. The solution will be dry in a day, and even the moment after the tires are mounted, it couldn't happen.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Black rims don't solve it - trust me. I thought the same when I bought my gunmetal coloured ones. The lip is harder to keep polished then any other set of rims I have had (On the old car).

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Only issue with ceramic pads are, there really nice for hard core racing and stuff. But the problem with everyday driving on ceramic is that they dont work that effiecently when cool. They work better when warm/hot. So your stopping distance MAY be incressed if you go ceramic on everyday driving.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
jonnycat said:
I used to use grease back in the day. Never heard that complaint
Well, grease would be good if its either small, or farm use. Theres a guy around here that got in a wreck because he mounted his tires with grease. Rims stopped, but tires kept moving.

·
Registered
232 Posts
th0ughtless said:
jonnycat said:
Well, grease would be good if its either small, or farm use. Theres a guy around here that got in a wreck because he mounted his tires with grease. Rims stopped, but tires kept moving.
Yikes

·
Registered
547 Posts
XStorm43 said:
th0ughtless said:
jonnycat said:
Yikes
:shock: that's crazy! :lol:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
th0ughtless said:
jonnycat said:
No no no no no NO! thats a bad move you dont use grease you use soapy water that smells like fish! thats what we used in our auto class lol :lol:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Rob said:
th0ughtless said:
jonnycat said:
No no no no no NO! thats a bad move you dont use grease you use soapy water that smells like fish! thats what we used in our auto class lol :lol:
Well, yes, you would. Using soapy water is commensense in tire mounting, but some of the country ass people aroun here to try to use grease to mount their tires. I'm only saying its ok to use it on smaller and farm use tires, cuz they'll never see more than 5mph. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it anyways, considering soap is much cheaper :p

·
So Delicious !
5,271 Posts
Use cerimac pads and the dust will stop.
Buy a medium grade of them not the top of the line and you will have a great braking experience everytime, I manage a NAPA store and the Safety Stop brand of cerimac pads are the ones to use and not too bad of a price.
I have a set at the house, just need the time off to change them and my car has like 3100 miles on it and tired of the factory pads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My mothers Gt has a lot of break dust build up from her heavy foot lol, some parts of the rim are yellow. The best way to clean break dust is acid, it doesn't affect the rim in anyway but one spray and the dust & stain drips off the rim.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts