G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the 2.2L sedan but i have rear drum brakes. I've recently been tought how to front wheel drive "drift" (actually called "gripping") the problem i'm having is that i can't lock my back wheels up good enough on the turn to get the kickout i need. i've tightened my E-brake and very little difference.. i still have to really wrench on it to lock up. I figure this is because of the drum brakes on my rear. so my question is this...

...is there a way i can switch my back brakes to the GT disc or is there a aftermarket kit i can find. Does anyone else have theirs done?

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
screw "gripping" girls are more impressed by a car doing 150kmh out of a hairpin turn. trust me on that one, lol. I do believe there is an upgrade kit to change to disc for the 4 lug pattern, cant remeber the site though, look in the vendors forum on cobaltss.net they are in there, they are by ssbc I think.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
if you're doing that kind of stuff with your girl or anyone else in the car you're just plain STUPID IMO!

if you don't care about your life that's one thing but don't play with someone else's. :!:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol! i don't do it for the girls, man. And yeah, 150 outta a hairpin is cool, but alot cooler when your going through it sideways at 100-120 ..LOL! i'll check it out. thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Renesis said:
if you're doing that kind of stuff with your girl or anyone else in the car you're just plain STUPID IMO!

if you don't care about your life that's one thing but don't play with someone else's. :!:
sorry my bad there was a missunder standing. I was going under the idea that since he was talking about drifting and it being a watched sport you would automatically understand that I ment to have spectators too. lol I dont do that with people in my car.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And for the record... NO PASSENGERS! Helmet, gloves, the smell (and sound) of rubber burning, and a screaming engine. Closed course and completly legal. I never have passengers for two reasons, 1) More than my safety at risk 2) +1 passenger = more weight.. LOL!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
did you find the brake upgrades?

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I would hug back but g5mike already made a comment about me hugging to much , lol

only if no one sees, lol :p

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nothing, all for front brake upgrade for 2.2L and the rest are for the SS. I'll keep looking...

no offense taken,that's a common thing said to me when i explain to people in person as well. i like t keep things legal when it comes to racing and the likes....

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
well back on topic now,

I think this is an issue with our e-brakes and not the actual brake system (drums) in your car

I know on CSS.net people with SC's say that their hanbbrake sucks or has failed..

it seems to be only made to "hold" the car and not to actually stop it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
my hand brake sucks ... i ahve to crank it ALL the way up to the point of moving my arm rest before it'll actually kick in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
tank said:
my hand brake sucks ... i ahve to crank it ALL the way up to the point of moving my arm rest before it'll actually kick in.
Yes! Me to and i say fuck that!I hate doin that cuz the car starts to roll back if you dont have it all the way up and it makes me feel like the car is gonna roll away when i get out of it!

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah when i first got my car last year and took it into a bit of fresh powder and tried to do a bit of b-brake drifts and for some reason i just couldn't do it the e-brake wasn't sensitive enough either, usually on the cars i used to do it on were sunfires, corollas, and my old grand am i had no problems with, oh well maybe its a sign just to not do it before i get into some trouble

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
you guys and your rear disc breaks. They built the 2.2 for ebrake slides haha.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you can tighten up your e-brake. slide off the handle housing and theres a nut and bolt on the right side of the handle. tighten it to your desired pull. it takes like 30 seconds. i tightened mine and my handle only lifts about 6". i also had it shortened for a JDM drift handle and boot, it locks up alot better for parking but for drifting i still don't get the lock up i would get from rear disc....

·
Registered
830 Posts
underground said:
you can tighten up your e-brake. slide off the handle housing and theres a nut and bolt on the right side of the handle. tighten it to your desired pull. it takes like 30 seconds. i tightened mine and my handle only lifts about 6". i also had it shortened for a JDM drift handle and boot, it locks up alot better for parking but for drifting i still don't get the lock up i would get from rear disc....
SNOW DRIFTS THIS WINTER FTW!! Thanks alot for letting me know this :D I'd much rather not have my car roll away on me this winter :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
take it easy on those E-brakes guys!!! mine has broken 4 times now, lol. my buddy with his ss/sc jsut had his bust and he doesn't do slides.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that would probably be because of the plastic component that pulls the two cables on the back... i'm trying to make a metal replacement part for mine cause i've been scared that would happen....

...on another note i found a rear drum to disc conversion kit for 4 lug cobalts... a little blingy but i think it'll be worth the change.....

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/5152/?make=Chevrolet&model=Cobalt&year=2006

this should work on '05 to '07 models cause as far as i know the P/N are the same, don't quote me though...

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
underground said:
that would probably be because of the plastic component that pulls the two cables on the back... i'm trying to make a metal replacement part for mine cause i've been scared that would happen....

...on another note i found a rear drum to disc conversion kit for 4 lug cobalts... a little blingy but i think it'll be worth the change.....

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/5152/?make=Chevrolet&model=Cobalt&year=2006

this should work on '05 to '07 models cause as far as i know the P/N are the same, don't quote me though...
told you it was by ssbc, lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts