G5 Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old 'Fire had a 96" fiberlgass whip on the rear bumper, much to the wife's dismay. I drive trucks, and really can't imagine driving without a CB. With the new G5 GT, I couldn't mess with the 'look' much, yet still wanted an antenna. The Mrs. didn't want to see one at all! I almost went with using the stock radio whip, but radio range would've been a half mile at most. Lip mount on the trunk almost was a go, but body panels are too close for the hardware. So..... I drilled a hole (AAAHHHHH!!!! Not in the new car!!!!!!). Well, I measured about a dozen different ways and mocked up a few different antennas and finally put bit to sheetmetal. Heck, a new trunk lid is a bolt-on replacement. It is not a complicated body panel repair or replacement. I lucked out in other ways, to. Rust-oleum makes a shade of red almost a perfect match to the car body. The mounting plate got 2 coats, plus a clearcoat shot. Lower nuts got a neat wrap of red duct tape to hide as much metal as possible. Again, red tape a close match to the car's color. The whip bends on it's spring to allow full trunk opening. I love the result, and am pleased the overall 'look' of the car remains 'compact'. Even the wife is reluctantly accepting of it! LOL
http://www.j-body.org/members/image/dartbaron/0616071539aa.jpg
The CB radio is under the steering wheel, THE only place I could put it. Ok, forget posting the picture problem, posting link instead. Ah well.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Doesn't look like the j-body site allows offsite linking. If you right click the box and go view image you can see it. Looks good.

·
Registered
547 Posts
DartBaron said:

The CB radio is under the steering wheel, THE only place I could put it. >>>Um, could someone help me here with the picture?<<<
You've got an extra "/" there, after the jpg and before the [/img]. I bolded it up there but it's hard to tell. That screwed up the image code.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
not a big fan either but its all personal preference :)

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
well even the guy with the cb would rather not have the antenna sticking out. but for having to have it and function, i think he did a good job for it having to be there.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
karnivor said:
well even the guy with the cb would rather not have the antenna sticking out. but for having to have it and function, i think he did a good job for it having to be there.
very good point

1 - 13 of 13 Posts