G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, G5 parents, I need your input on this.

I went to get our car seat inspected tonight. I had it installed rear-facing in the center of the back seat (according to the instructions), nice and tight, level indicator all in the blue.

I took the car to the Hamilton Police, and the lady applauded me for doing a bang-up job.

BUT

Apparently they do NOT want it in the center of the car, because the don't want the car seat touching either of the front seats. Her reason being that the contact between the front seats can lead to cracking of the plastic, or can cause resistance in an accident and can lead to either excessive jolting of the baby. Since the driver's leg space is of utmost importance, the seat should be behind the front passenger.

She installed it in the right-rear with some foam tubes under the back. The level indicator showed some orange, to which she said "I don't go by that, they're not accurate" and proceeded to use a FOLDED PIECE OF PAPER to show 45 degrees. .... :shock:

It seems really strange to me that all of this is apparently a priority over the fact that the sides of the vehicle are the most often hit. I need to ask for some input on this because, obviously, you guys have the same car and know what a tight space it is. I'm thinking I'm also going to check with the fire department too.

What were you instructed to do and, perhaps more importantly, what did you do?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I always had mine in the center because of the fact that if the car got hit on the side the kid is on...not very good! And if the car seat starts cracking because it has contact with the front seats it is a POS lol!

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always had mine in the center because of the fact that if the car got hit on the side the kid is on...not very good!
My thoughts exactly! What's worse? Possible jarring while in the middle, or a possible dodge ram in the side of the head?

And if the car seat starts cracking because it has contact with the front seats it is a POS lol!
That too! :lol:
And we paid $250 for this thing - it damn well better be good plastic ;)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Haha! I wish I had two middle seats because now I have two kids lol! I think I'm just gonna buy an APC to ride around in with my kids lol!

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol:

I think, when we have two, I'll opt to put one behind me, if possible. I think the passenger side is hit a bit less often than drivers side.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
my child restraint........ wear a condom lol! safety first kids!

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if you plan it like we did, you'll never be completely 100% ready.

At least not until you see the first ultrasound :)

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm.. our manual doesn't say anything about it. Neither does the car seat manual.

I'm beginning to think I'm going to move it. Not only because I can't find any info to back it up, but also because I really don't think that lady installed the seat at 45 degrees. She may claim her folded piece of paper showed it, but I'll trust a level over that.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
You did a good thing by going to the fire station to have them check the installation of your car seat. You have your reasons for putting it in the middle, and they have their reasons for putting it on the side. You can take what you've learned and make your own decision. Even if I only had one kid, I couldn't put the baby seat behind the drivers seat or in the middle because I wouldn't be able to safely drive the car. That dictates that it has to be behind the passenger seat for my situation.

No matter what position you decide on, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Remember... we didn't have car seats when we were kids. Any car seat position is going to be many times safer than no car seat.

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
You did a good thing by going to the fire station to have them check the installation of your car seat. You have your reasons for putting it in the middle, and they have their reasons for putting it on the side. You can take what you've learned and make your own decision. Even if I only had one kid, I couldn't put the baby seat behind the drivers seat or in the middle because I wouldn't be able to safely drive the car. That dictates that it has to be behind the passenger seat for my situation.

No matter what position you decide on, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Remember... we didn't have car seats when we were kids. Any car seat position is going to be many times safer than no car seat.
Remember, Greg has a four door. So a car seat in the middle or behind him would be a little different.

I personally say put it in the middle. It seems like it's safer than either side and I don't see the seats being a huge problem for the car seat.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
The front and rear seat positions are the same in the coupe and sedan, so a car seat in the middle or behind him would be exactly the same.

The only thing he won't have to do is slide one of the seats forward and then wind up to swing the baby into the back seat. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts