G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED!!!

DIRTY WORK STARTS 03.24.09!!!

ok so i am going to swap out the cobalt taillights with the g5 taillights along with the trunks and bumpers.....since everything all matches up and come off the assembly line

Ok so to do the conversion there are some parts that are required:

grille outer surround piece
grille insert

g5 coupe trunk
g5 coupe taillights
g5 reverse lights
g5 bumper preferably the gt

other parts:
Pontiac emblems
Pontiac center caps
Pontiac steering wheel airbag replacement
g5 17” or g6 18” rims
(I opted to add a low rise for a stock look)

ok now that all that is covered.

I received the grille (both pieces)

there was some sort of white crap on it.

the outer piece was black had a few scuffs when I got it but paint will soon cover it up.

I received the g5 taillights. And the reverse lights heres the tails

so I decided that I needed to paint the inside part of the grille black and so I did

I finally get notice that my trunk has shown up at the greyhound station 45 min away… so I got it picked up. I have a trunk in my trunk………

since I had already painted the inside of the grille I decided to get the outer part sanded and primed up.

my gxp emblems arrived in the mail.

my pontiac center caps came in the mail:

I then decided to make my grille fit and this is what I did:

1. what i started with was the left side of the crossbar and took a dremel to it and cut it

2. then i went to the right side of the crossbar and did the same

3. now under where the crossbar used to be located is three tabs.... i started with the left.

4. dremel the left side off

5. dremel the right side off

6. now you should have one tab in the middle and no crossbar

7. now install the grille and it should look like this

so now that I figured out all the business with the grille I can get it painted up

my new steering wheel airbag came in so out with the old:

and in with the new:

next up I finally got the trunk fitted( after a shit ton of body work) the corner of the trunk was bent at an outward angle…

got the ss rear bumper taken off and the g5 taillights installed:

so since the reverse lights on the cobalt are located in the trunk lid, they need to be extended and rerouted to the new location which will be on either side of the license plate indentation.

when you remove the cobalt trunk there are wires for three lights: each reverse light and the third brake light. The different connectors on the end will indicate which is which. Since they are all in one loom take the wires for the reverse lights and separate them from the loom leaving the loom on the wire going to the third brake light… take these wires and add the right amount of wire. If you pull back the carpet behind my sub there is a grommet with wires already coming out for other electronics(kinda like the one in the firewall behind the pedals) feed them through it and route them to the new location using zip ties as needed. I found it to be easier to add some wire first then feed through the hole then add the connector back to the wires.( pictures are commencing in the camera)

so time passes and passes and passes and I finally get my gt rear bumper at a great deal and I put it on:

I have the taillights out to be tinted along with the reverse lights.

also I got the outer grille surround painted:

so now that I finally have this bumper that means I can fit the ss/sc lip to it. I know so other guys have had some troubles with getting it to line up correctly.

heres what I did…..

I took the ss lip and matched it up with the slits that were already there and there were some extras. I cut the extras off because I figured that if the g5 gt lip didn’t have them then the ss lip didn’t either. So now that I did all that it still wants to fit weird so

I took a small file and made the slits longer making there more wiggle room. As soon as ii did that she fit like a glove.

edit::just not quite the perfect glove.... to get the lip to sit flush with the ss rear lip you have to cut out part of the bumper where the rear fascias are soon as that happens it looks like its from the factory.

so I buy the paint and paint the car have it painted for maybe a week, my dad has to push my car.
well he screwed up my bumper and pushed in part of the trunk and this was Before I even had time to take pictures. Then Since during this time me and my gf at that moment were fighting really good and I always used her camera and laptop… which Is how I come to fall behind on the updates.

well I finally got the taillights and the third brake light and the reverse lights all tinted up:

got those tinted and these painted while I wait for the paint.

and currently rolling around full 5

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
pretty sureyou can, although we dont have our bumpers come up and aroudn are lights... I dont know if it connected differntly. should be the same./

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
yes, if you replace the bumper with a g5 bumper, you will be able to put g5 tails in. they are the same connector

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
this has nothing to do with it but this site looks way cooler then css and people seem to be nicer here or something and dont start arguing in the middle of your thread
what are you talking about?!?!? we argue all the time and pretty much hate each other here ;-) seriously though, you are definitely correct. this is a much better place than css :-D

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
what are you talking about?!?!? we argue all the time and pretty much hate each other here ;-) seriously though, you are definitely correct. this is a much better place than css :-D
That's why I'm still here, don't think i'll be going anywhere any time soon.:)

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
As long as you get the bumber and taillight, it will bolt on because the bodies are the same. You could even put the G5 front bumer on and your car will now be a pontiac. Like Nighthawk said, you would have to replace the trunk lid as well to get rid of the reverse lights in there. You could get a GT bumper and base tails and keep the trunk lid without having double sets of lights. It would also be the most compatible with your cars harness.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
your girl will be fine if you swap it out. idk what mkurley was talking about, the cobalt doesnt have a different body structure for the round lights.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
The unibody is the exact same. The part that surrounds the round tails (Where the G5's tails would fill) on the balt is just plastic and is part of the bumper cover. There is no difference in the welded panels on the G5 and Cobalt. This was a measure to reduce build cost since GM could use the same body for both cars. The main issue would be rerouting the reverse lights to go to the bumper instead of the trunk, but that's probably the extent of it.

As far as a wingless G5 trunk, you won't find one. You'll have to order the G5 trunk (Less spoiler) and then have the holes welded closed and then smoothed out.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
that back of the tail light itself or the back of the car?

a pic of the back of the light itself not the car lol

your girl will be fine if you swap it out. idk what mkurley was talking about, the cobalt doesnt have a different body structure for the round lights.

thats what i thought lol i think im goin to let her have my car and trade hers in on a new ss t/c if i can get the loan

and just build mine into the g5 i dont think anyone has done this

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
That would be awesome. The first "factory" turbo'd G5! lol sorta... You'd still have a bowtie on your steering wheel and in the center caps of the rims. They wouldn't be difficult to fix, then no one would know the difference at first glance! (or even second)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
What would it look like to put a Balt trunk with those lights on it on a g5? Probly crap is what i'm thinkin, but i'd like to see a finished product. Oh wait, are those lenses even functioning?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
DOOO IT!!! It'll be a first on this site if you do convert your balt into a G5... prolly one of the fastest too since there is no stock super'd G5s w/2.0s :-D... You can use overlay for the chevy badge on your steering wheel.. or head to the junk yard and swap it out or get a new badge for it.. cheapest way will be an overlay.

Regarding the swap... should bolt up perfectly.. the only differences is on the 4 door vs 2 door..... that you can't do a perfect swap with... coupe vs coupe though you can. Even re-routing the wires for the reverse lights should not be hard, you'd be just changing removing it out of one wire harness and moving it further below or add extra length to it, wire it into the new sockets with the G5 bumper. You may even find when you pull the bumper off, it could already have the wiring there (maybe).

I know with my Cavalier. When I did the trunk swap to get trunk w/spoiler... It already had the 3rd brake light spoiler wiring ready, all you had to do was plug it in once you put the trunk on... it may be the same situation. If they left the wireing harnesses the same to save any money on production, you may be lucky, otherwise, it shouldn't be hard to reroute the direction of your wires.

I can't wait to see your project once completed :-D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
i would definitely swap everything out so no one would know it was a balt i love the way the g5 looks but wasnt supercharged and i always wanted a super or turbocharged car and for me GM is the company i prefer to buy from.... i was just looking up the pricing for g5 tails and they are like 75 a piece from the dealer if there are some people out there with extra anything from a g5 laying around we can work a deal out really all i need is the tails cuz i want to get the rksport body kit its so frickin sweet

also what are some g5 performance websites with appearance stuff i cant remember any and have been looking internet searchin is hard for me not exactly the best at it

just did a lil bit of research and from gmpartsdirect.com including s&h to do the full rear conversion its goin to be around $960... looks like im goin to have to hit sum junkyards up and try to find some used parts

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Definately check the junk yards. Also check ebay or craigslist. They might be selling used G5 tails. They are currently scarce cause there aren't any aftermarket tails for the G5 coupe :( so the stock ones aren't lying around.

1 - 20 of 610 Posts