G5 Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the MAF sensor 3 times now.

Just bought an upgraded code reader tool and can see the output of the sensor while driving.

It cycles from 0.0 lbs/m to some higher value - say 3.5 lbs/m at higher engine speed.

The 0.0 lbs/m will occur while the engine is running at freeway speeds - abt 2000 rpm. Like a temporary drop out.

I am thinking the MAF sensor should not be cycling... so either I have had a series of bad/poor sensors or I have a wiring issue - with intermittent drop out.....

I'll check another engine - different vehicle to see if its MAF sensor cycles also.

My cursory check of the wiring does not yield any indicators of an issue, no cracks, fraying, skin marks, etc.

Is there a better manufacturer of after market sensors - mine are from Autozone....

Is there something else I should be looking at/for?

·
#low
1,537 Posts
Vacuum leak is a big one. Id check that for sure.

Take a propane torch, turn the gas on but not the flame, hold the gas around your vacuum lines, intake tube and intake manifold. See if you hear a change in idle.

·
Super Moderator
1,967 Posts
You're reading should fluctuate, because the sensor is measuring the flow of air into your engine at different speeds. It should be reading something other than zero, even at idle. Sounds like there is an air leak somewhere between the sensor and somewhere around the throttle body.

·
#low
1,537 Posts
Also worth noting, an engine will make almost no Vaccuum at WOT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts