G5 Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched everywhere for this on the forum and online and I haven't really found an answer and its is kind of making me wonder....

I have a 2009 G5 GT and I want to do some stuff to it and i was wondering what years of cobalt is compatible with it because it seems to me that there are more parts out there for the cobalt then the G5

Sorry if this was answered somewhere else if that is the case please direct me to that site/post

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's a quick breakdown:

Body - All panels are interchangeable between g5 and cobalt coupes, however the rear bumper, rear fenders, and trunk are different due to the taillights.
The sedan taillights are a different shape than the g5 coupe taillights and are not interchangeable.
The sedan body panels with the exception of the hood and front bumper are different, not sure about the front fenders.
Headlights are all the same shape and mounting, there are three versions that I am aware of on the OEM headlights: Base model pre-07 cobalt headlights have a amber lens over the parking/signal light reflector, Base model post-07 g5/cobalt headlights are the same without the large amber lens, SS headlights have no amber lens but have a slight tint to the main lens.

Electronics -
Stereos are mostly interchangeable, 2006 and before cobalt stereos are different than 2007 and after, however, and may not function correctly with steering wheel controls. There are various other Electronic components that change depending on which model and options you have, best to just consult a parts manual to see if part numbers changed on a year or trim level basis.

Engines/Powertrain/ETC - Most aftermarket parts will say flat out which engines they work on, most intakes are listed as being for 2.2/2.4 or for 2.0. If it works on a Cobalt with a 2.2 it'll work on a G5 non-GT, if it works on a 2.4 it'll work on a G5 GT, if it works on a 2.0, it won't work for you.

So, anything mechanical that is made for a Cobalt SS 2.4 of any year (non S/C, non T/C) should also work for you. Anything body-wise from any year Cobalt Coupe with the exception of the trunk, rear fenders or rear bumper (if you want to keep your reverse lights) will also fit.

Reactions: Doc-Z
1 - 10 of 10 Posts