1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What a week of covering and polishing...................... :!:

Does it look OK :?: :?:
Well any way its my GT and :idea: I LIKE IT :!:
But believe me it is a lot of work, but worth it in the end, don't ya think :?: :?:
I need to find something to make the fuel rail silver again where its brown........ Any Ideas :idea:

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sanding, sanding, sanding, and polishing and on and on...

well its a long story...... maybe I will do a how to polish bare aluminum, or should I say sand aluminum............
To make it short right now, you have to sand the heck out of the valve cover to get it smooth..... all the way to 1500 grit ( I mean hours of it )
Then you polish the cover with buffing wheel ( NOT A BUFFING PAD ) on grinder or other means with 3 differnt kinds of compound, Tripoli, White Rouge and then Red Rouge other wise known as jewelers rouge. This can be bought at Sears by craftsman. Patience patience patience while sanding and polishing.
Our valve cover is soooo bad needs lots and lots and lots of sanding.
Alot involved and cleanlyness is a must. I'll write in detail if interested ( Basic Aluminum Polishing )
Notice I keep saying lots of sanding..... maybe I am underestamating the time of sanding...... hours, LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
i did that once with my ford probe...the problem was, during the winter it would form what looks like perfect snowflakes on the cover, however it would never come off...looked funky.. i figured it must have been because of teh extreme cold combined with it becoming very hot when the car had been on for a while, then was cooled rapidly..../rambling..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great job looks awesome!!

The fuel rail where it is brown is from GM not doing a good job of completely plaiting it. I think the only thing you could do is take it off and take it to the plaiters and have them redo it. I know that Duke City Bumper could do this for you in N.M. but that is quite a drive, maybe there is a plaiter closer to you.

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:arrow: Thank You :!:

I don't think I want to sand on it, not sure what kind of meterial it is :?: :?: :?:
Sending it off for plating would take at least a week to get back :idea:
hmmmmmmm

·
Original Member
904 Posts
would you mind doing a short how to on the valve cover polish?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Is it a 2.0L or a 2.4L/2.2L? Cause I know there is a fuel rail for the 2.0L SS/SC

Question - by sanding it down like that are you not exposing it to the elements more? From my understanding there is a protective coating on those parts and by sanding it off won't it promote pitting etc if not clear coated?

·
Registered
649 Posts
That would as well - pretty expensive to do I would guess.

I really hope they have a fuel rail out for us - might be something to look into.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
if not, perhaps someone (maybe i will) should talk to aem. high flow fuel rails that are color matched would be a very nice add to the engine bay. esp. if you are thinknig are FI and the bottle

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
farfrmnormal said:
Is it a 2.0L or a 2.4L/2.2L? Cause I know there is a fuel rail for the 2.0L SS/SC

Question - by sanding it down like that are you not exposing it to the elements more? From my understanding there is a protective coating on those parts and by sanding it off won't it promote pitting etc if not clear coated?
You can clearcoat it if you want to........ just a little Never Dull polish keeps it from pitting and you do have to repolish with Never Dull once in a while. They put something on the unpolished valve cover ? Why ? Too keep it looking shity like it is from the factory ? lol

PursuitGT said:
polishing looks great, Wire loom looks like crap. that's just my opinion.
:lol: In your opinion........Hey thats ok......
Because in my opinion..... lol .... I think that a yellow car looks like CRAP too :!:
But to each his own

·
Registered
649 Posts
Cherry GT said:
You can clearcoat it if you want to........ just a little Never Dull polish keeps it from pitting and you do have to repolish with Never Dull once in a while. They put something on the unpolished valve cover ? Why ? Too keep it looking shity like it is from the factory ? lol
No, to protect the metal from pitting. Now that you have sanded the protectant off it is more likely to be damaged from the elements. It may look shitty, but it protects it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts