G5 Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 G5 4DR, and whenever I go over speedbumps (or even somtimes small bumps in the road) the front end of my car (near/around the struts) creaks up and down, like it's in bad need of grease.

Thing is, this only happens on cold, dry days. If it's raining out, or humid, it doesn't happen.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Might have bad struts. I just recently had to replace my struts, shocks, rotors, brakes, and lower control ARM bushings due to a creak, thunk, screech, and other odd noises. GM should put out something that says to replace all suspension components every 55-60k miles lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. How much would I be looking at to get new struts? Car is due for an MVI in a month.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Well, if you know somebody who was able to do them, it would be pretty cheap. I didn't and had to go to tires plus; cost me $700 to install a quick strut assembly set.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I believe it is most likely coming from the strut bearings up top. Not the strut itself. Usually a blown strut has more of a rattle to it.

Either way, do them yourself. Not that hard, and a good learning experience if you've never done them. The hardest part is the top strut nut. Best to get it while the car is already resting on the ground. Rent a McPherson spring compressor tool (usually Auto Zone and Advance do this. You can buy them pretty cheap too) so you can take the springs off and put them on the new struts. Basic hand tools is all you'll need.

CrateEngineDepot.com has all the parts you will need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a mechanic buddy that could lend me the compressor and help me out for a two-four, haha. That'd be a good time to install my lowering springs too. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you've got lowering springs going on, its quite possible that you won't even need the Spring Compressor then. Just depends on which spring it is and how tall they are.

I do recommend upgrading to the FE5+ suspension off of the 08-10 SS's. They'll provide much better handling, and they'll take the abuse of the lowering springs a lot better than your stock ones.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the 4 door have a torsion bar on it? Because I think on the GT the torsion bar sits in a rubber bushing and when its cold the rubber freezes and it will creak until the rubber warms up.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Does the 4 door have a torsion bar on it? Because I think on the GT the torsion bar sits in a rubber bushing and when its cold the rubber freezes and it will creak until the rubber warms up.
Yes, all models of the Cobalt/G5/Ion have the rear twisting beam set-up. If your mounting bushings are binding in the cold, you need to lubricate them. Binding is bad. Silicone spray should do the job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Might have bad struts. I just recently had to replace my struts, shocks, rotors, brakes, and lower control ARM bushings due to a creak, thunk, screech, and other odd noises. GM should put out something that says to replace all suspension components every 55-60k miles lol.
I replaced my control arm bushings because I had this type of noise, was a cross between a clunk and a rattle. Well after doing so the clunk is gone but the rattle persists when going over bumps and potholes. I was wondering if it could be Sway Bar End Links? Or would the Rattle type noise point toward the Struts? I hate to take it to a mechanic, and have been trying to figure this out on my own without replacing things at a guess.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I replaced my control arm bushings because I had this type of noise, was a cross between a clunk and a rattle. Well after doing so the clunk is gone but the rattle persists when going over bumps and potholes. I was wondering if it could be Sway Bar End Links? Or would the Rattle type noise point toward the Struts? I hate to take it to a mechanic, and have been trying to figure this out on my own without replacing things at a guess.
I've got the same situation with my 5 it rattles but the clunking is gone. The only things I haven't checked yet are the sway bar bushings and the end links. I think I will wait until I can get some lowering springs along with the Fe5 shocks and struts before I replace the end links and such. I have taken my car to Tires Plus several times and they don't seem to find a problem with it even though it is obvious. They did tell me that it could be my upper strut mount, but when I said good that was just replaced by you guys a couple months ago, it didn't seem to be the problem anymore haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think it's just the cold. Mine does it too, and the dealer said my struts were fine.
+1

My '05 Pursuit has done tis every winter since new. We have over 100,000KM on it now and it hasn't been an issue other than the pleasant annoyance on only the very coldest of days when going over speed bumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, at -20C (-5F) everything rubber squeaks only your teeth are usually chattering too loudly to hear it. Ha! Sadly, my sway bar bushing are still embarrassing going over bumps at +20, so had to take it in. Mechanic says the weeping struts with 154,000km are still holding up and current link rods are control arm bushings are fine too. So it seems the sway bar bushings were the only part that didn't survive the winter. Ha! Headed out to my garage today to attempt to replace them myself. Oh joy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts