G5 Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just swapped over to my summer wheels and noticed a ton of grease everywhere finally found the issue and found a little tear in my CV joint boot. So what I was thinking of doing was just trying to regrease it through the little hole but I was wondering if I should take the boot off and grease it and how much I should use.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
For the time being, yes, pull the boot back and grease the hell out of it. With 'grease everywhere', no telling how long it's been ripped, and how much crap/water got in. Play it safe, get a new axle asap, say, within a week. You'd have to pull the old axle to do a proper, clean repair, so you may as well plan to put a new one on, just in case the patch job was too late to do good (but good enough to tide you over).

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the time being, yes, pull the boot back and grease the hell out of it. With 'grease everywhere', no telling how long it's been ripped, and how much crap/water got in. Play it safe, get a new axle asap, say, within a week. You'd have to pull the old axle to do a proper, clean repair, so you may as well plan to put a new one on, just in case the patch job was too late to do good (but good enough to tide you over).

It would be a repair until it the joint or axle starts to fail as it not showing any signs, I was just curious on how much grease I should put in. If I should be just covering the joint or filling the boot almost completely

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
It would be a repair until it the joint or axle starts to fail as it not showing any signs, I was just curious on how much grease I should put in. If I should be just covering the joint or filling the boot almost completely
Mash as much as you can into/onto the joint. There's internal surfaces you can't get to, without disassembly. As I understand, it gets a thin 'icing' of grease, overall. The boot is just a 'dust' cover. You could watch a YouTube video on how to rebuild a CV joint, to get a better idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts