G5 Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i got my 08 G5 last week form a local large dealer. I talked to them today and I am going to get it undercoated to protect from rust (i live in western pennsylvania). They will give me a 100$ off the teflon coating to get it done at the same time (which would make it 100$). I have been reading around and some people say its worth it, some say its usually never done right, some say its just an expensive wax job. I like waxing and taking care of my car should I just pass on the "teflon" coating?

The teflon coating and the undercoating are both covered by lifetime warranties and renewed every two years. This also makes me kinda weary, I dont care what kind of coating it is, it wont last 2 years...

Just looking for opinions and thoughts maybe some first hand experience. Also my G5 is silver if that matters lol

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
Welcome! I think that you might be the first 2008 here!

I'd pass on the undercoating. Apparantly our car's steel is galvanized on both sides, and covered in a decent coat of paint. They are also have a 100,000 mile rust through warranty, and I don't think that any undercoating is recommended by GM either.

Quote from Pontiac website:
Corrosion Protection
Pontiac vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Pontiac dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinions guys and I will definitely look more in to that pontiac warranty. If I skip em both will save me quite a bit of money I can put in to other areas of the car :D The last car I had was a 95 sebring and the frame was all rusted out underneath so thats why i was so ready to jump on the undercoating thing. Ill let you guys know what I decide :) Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
Just take it to a self-serve car wash an give the underbody a good powerwashing, use their soap, then jet rinse, a few times over winter.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
toolman said:

I'd pass on the undercoating. Apparantly our car's steel is galvanized on both sides, and covered in a decent coat of paint. They are also have a 100,000 mile rust through warranty, and I don't think that any undercoating is recommended by GM either.

Corrosion Protection
Pontiac vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Pontiac dealer for terms of this limited warranty.
My manual from the Grand AM said something similiar, and I had to rebuild the back end from rust damage from winters. One of my friends drives a silverado from 2000 that supposedly didn't need undercoating either, yet I don't give his frame more than 2 years more before It needs redone.

The Manual is mainly meant for general winter, not Pennsylvania's snowbelt/Salt mix. PA uses some nasty, nasty, NASTY salt that corrodes just about everything it sticks to. Pennsylvania is not known as "potsholevania" for nothing.

Anyways, Skip the teflon, I was never one for using teflon on a car. I say go for a old fashioned oil undercoat. I personally put 10W-40 on the underside of mine today. Its basically an old geezer trick, but it works pretty well. The oil creates a nice barrier, and, in the summertime, can come off with a good pressure washer.

Anyways, 100 bucks is quite a bit. It cost me 10 bucks for the 10W-40 and a brush. The main spots that need a protective coating is the front (Cars infront kicking stuff at you), and also toward the back. I would also coat the front lower control arms (as they tend to go bad too), and also the parts of the fuel lines that are not protected by the plastic covering. Anything near the exhaust is stainless steel, (unpainted), and doesn't need the coat.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
toolman said:

Corrosion Protection
when I bought my car, the sales rep said the undercoat was a waste of money. he said wait till it starts rusting then bring it in for warranty!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Yeah, but that requires you to take time out to get it fixed, plus the car won't be the same afterward.

Rust is a cancer. Once it starts, you can keep cutting it out, but it'll keep coming back. The best way to beat it is to prevent it from starting. Even after putting new metal in the GA (Stupid me, i never undercoated it...) it started to rust again.

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
I don't know about undercoating it right away from day one... the cars have galvanized steel structure underneith, thats how they can guarantee the 5-6 yrs corrosion resistance. If you wait like at least a 1 year or 2, it will not harm your car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
funny how the dealer completely contradicts what the manufacturer says. I had good luck with rust on my GA, when the car was retired, it was 12 years old, and only had 2 little rust bubbles under the paint on the hood. Soon after I got it (was about 4 years old I think) I had rust check applied annually. at a cost of about 120 dollars a shot.

With my pursuit, I decided to try the panel undercoating that the dealer does, it was a few hundred dollars, but it's covered for life, and I don't have to go in every year and pay. I do have to go back every so often to be touched up or reapplied, but no cost to me. Car was a year old when I got it, and it's warrantied as 'new'. I did get the undercoating too, the soundproofing. Although it does make things a lot quietter underneath on the highway, I think I shouldn't have gotten it. I fear it will hold the water in. But I don't know. I drive a car enough that it won't last forever anyways. The best stuff seems to be the yearly application, but it really does depend on how long you are keeping the car. whether it is worth it. I've seen cars that have been over 20-25 years old, had rust check applied yearly, and they were taking the car apart to do work on it for some reason. Not a single bolt was rusted on or anthing, they said it was a dream. Never see that on a car even a few years old. And that car was practically a daily driver, and out every winter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whoops.. and I was a little off topic, since the question was about the teflon coating. They offered paint protection here, was supposed to protect from the sun. (I don' tthink there was a lifetime warranty on it though). It's a lot like the 'paint' protection at the pressure wash places. Much better off putting on a good coat of wax (get teflon wax if you want, I used it, it's great stuff), you are right, no coat will last 2 years, obviously it will wear.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have all the coatings from the dealership. Lifetime warranty on paint, rust and any fabric wear. I can take the car in to have to resprayed for free every year or every other year and they will fix any rust right away if there is any for some reason.Seamed like it was a good idea to me. Adds value to car when selling since it is transferrable too.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Yeah, as said, the undercoat preserves it. Now if you're a person who tends to get a new car every 5 years, then it may not be worth it for you, but someone like I, who tends to drive the car until it dies, finds it worth the cost. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
When I traded in my '96 Sunfire in for the G5 GT this past spring, the 'Fire had no discernable rust at all on the underbody. There was some light surface rust, and the engine cradle had the same. All body panels were 'clean'. Getting any screw connection undone would've needed some PB/ 10w-40 on it before work was done. That 'Fire saw some intense salting here in Philly suburbs as well as some deep snow. I wasn't offered the undercoating, I was told it would've voided the rust warranty. As for the Teflon coating, same thing...almost. No warranty issues, just didn't seem worth it. The paint job on the 'Fire wasn't all that bad. If the car would've gone another few years, I'd've just had it repainted - of sorts.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
ya just give it a nice wash. If ur really worried, go pay to get it profeesionaly washed and detailed

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get some of that truck bed liner and spray it under there, nothing will take that crap off :lol:

As for winters here in Florida, What winter? I just washed, waxed, and vacuumed my car today. Then I wanted to get my amp off my sub box to keep it from getting rattled to death so i moved it up under the rear package rack inside the trunk. You cat see it lest you look for it lol.

Anything the dealer tries to sell you other than a car is a scam. My dad had that paint fade warranty crap and he went to get it repainted and they wouldn't honor it.

Then he bought wheel insurance that was supposed to cover ANY wheel damage, he fell into a manhole and they refused to pay for that too. Don believe the dealer on that kind of stuff, its all a rip off.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Alot of the additional warranties are usually chalk full of exceptions and conditions that all must be adhered to to be valid.

Usually stuff like wheel warranties are only for defects in workmanship, not for road hazards.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
tommygreen23 said:
The guy that sold it to him told him it covered everything.

Why would you need a second warranty on something that GM warrantys?
He was speaking in the normal lingo of warranty assurances. When he says it "Covers everything", he really means it covers "Everything... except whats in the fine print..." When it comes to warranty promises, spoken word is not able to be upheld. When it comes to warranties, what is on the paper is what is accepted as true. The dealer could've told him that the extended warranties carried free lapdances for life, but if it doesn't state that on paper, it is a promise that is not able to be kept.

Anyways, some people get the second warranty as an extention of protection. Most dealers offer a plan to buy additional warranty that would cover the car after GM's would expire (Generally it extends the GM warranty another 2 years...). Usually this is only worth it for people who drive the shit of their cars and would put it out of warranty via milage within a very short period of time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts