lol yeah but this one was super easy.

that's vinyl/leather paint.

the only hard part is disassembling and reassembling them

seat inserts next haha

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idk...i think the red would look good in your balck car, providing you have the black leather interior...

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Holy shit call me a noob, but I didn't know you could do that!

I would love to rip my red/black covers off my seats and paint the seat itself. And of course do the door trim.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
njg5gt said:
lol yeah but this one was super easy.

that's vinyl/leather paint.

the only hard part is disassembling and reassembling them

seat inserts next haha
Wait a minute. That is just paint? You just paint right over that scratchy cloth stuff that we have for an arm rest, and it looks just like vinyl/leather when it is done? What would it cost to have something like this done?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
that is a very good idea

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
denlou said:
Holy shit call me a noob, but I didn't know you could do that!

I would love to rip my red/black covers off my seats and paint the seat itself. And of course do the door trim.
Just about anything is possible in car modification if you have enough time ;).

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wait wait wait. i had leather door inserts to begin with. not cloth haha.

and yes, i simply took the door apart, removed the plastic rivets from the door panel, and painted the door panel. then reinserted.

the paint is made and distributed by a upholstery company called three rivers supplies. they are available only to vendors and if people were really interested, i could put up the color swatch booklet and get a group buy together, to save money. the paint also comes with a separate can of adhsion promoter, which makes the paint stick, and stay stuck. i,e. when this was dry, just to test their claims, i sprayed an extra piece of leather lying around, let it dry, and crumpled it up lots. the paint didnt crack or peel or anything. looked just like the plain leather. pretty cool stuff.

on a side note, if you have cloth, you can simply cover over it with actual leather and vinyl. howver, it is extremely difficult work because the shape of the inserts lends itself to the leather/vinyl coming unglued after a while. thats why i painted mine instead

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I wonder how I'd go paint my ceiling, that'd be way to much work to take it out. I wonder if I could plastic the rest of the interior off and go at it with a spray can haha.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha you mean your headliner? those have to be recovered with headliner material, which im thinking about. full black interior with a tan headliner and piller covers. go figure

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Looks good. Nice leather interior too. I wish I could've got that on my car.

Guess I'll have to go pick up some recaros when I get the money :p

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The leather is extremely clean, but so hot this time of year haha

As for removing the door panels, inside the cup holder, there are two screws. They are phillips head. Same behind the door handle (only one screw there). Unhook the electronic controls from the arm of the door at this point. Now start from the bottom of the door panel, closer to the edge of the door (oppostie from the speaker). Pry from behind with a flat head or door panel remover (can be gotten from any auto store). There are around ten clips holdig the door panel in. After getting the bottom loose, work your way up. The lip on the top is supposed to come off with it. After you have it off, remove the speaker cable, and then unlatch the door handle cable and its off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts