G5 Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today as i was driving, my radio randomly turned itself off then seconds later it came back on and my car said power steering for a few seconds but nothing seemed to be effected. when i got to where i was going i turned my car off and the gauges started bouncing around everywhere. they stopped whenever i opened my door up. when i got back home and turned my car off the gauges were twitching a little but not as bad as before. not really sure at all whats going on. read online that a bad connector at the bcm can cause this but just dont know. havent really looked at anything yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also forgot to add that i have a volt meter in my car that i installed and at the time it was doing this the voltage dropped from around 14.7v to 12.3v. wondering if i just have a loose battery terminal or something causing my ecm and bcm to act up when the voltage gets too low.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i just got done talking to the dealer, first off i regret buying a pontiac from a acura dealership as they have to do the warrany work and im not 100% with letting a non gm dealership work on my gm. so they said the power steering was throwing two codes, didnt tell me what they were, and they linked the airbag problem to severed wire which i previously found. so after they have my car torn apart they tell me the my warranty wont cover my power steering because the warranty is specific to hydrolic power steering and its electric so its not covered. there also saying that my airbag problem isnt covered by warranty either. kinda stupid how two vital systems on a car arent covered, one of them being a life saving system. but supposidly i may still be covered under my factory powertrain warranty which is 5 years or 100,000 mile, both of which im still under. do you think gm would fix my power steering under that warranty? it still works just fine with no problems and the warning indicator for it isnt even on so im not sure why its throwing codes. anyway looks like i will be having to pay the diagnostic fee and then have to shell out the money to have a gm dealership fix everything. oh and they also did find that a previous owner took the car in for the power steering recall and had it worked on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well got good news right after bad news. turns out the codes they wouldnt tell me were just codes saying low voltage. and i did discover before i took it to the dealer that my positive battery cable was really loose. that was the cause also of my gauges going crazy. but they did quote me just now for the passenger seatbelt tensioner that it was gonna be $580 to replace. i said no way since i can get it for $140 online and do it myself. and turns out the reason they wouldnt honor my warranty is because it was 126 miles over the 3000 mile plan. but talk about a relief. my wallet just sighed too! now after that scare im gonna look into purchacing a extended warranty just to be safe. oh and they also waived the diagnostic fee after i had a fight with them on the phone over why they wouldnt honor my warranty which at the time i didnt know had expired.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Graveyg5Gt- they told me that the recall had already been fullfilled by the previous owner and im guessing that means that the power steering had already been replaced or whatever the recall demanded. thanks though, i asked about that when i took it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
today as i was driving, my radio randomly turned itself off then seconds later it came back on and my car said power steering for a few seconds but nothing seemed to be effected. when i got to where i was going i turned my car off and the gauges started bouncing around everywhere. they stopped whenever i opened my door up. when i got back home and turned my car off the gauges were twitching a little but not as bad as before. not really sure at all whats going on. read online that a bad connector at the bcm can cause this but just dont know. havent really looked at anything yet.
Any problem with your door locks going crazy locking and unlocking and a clicking noise coming from the gear shifter? My car just started doing it and the power steering light came on ( 2009 Pontiac G5 ) And the car doesn't want to move when this happens ( it has done it while driving )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts