G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now I don't always have my coolant temp. up on my DIC, but I did have it on today. Any other time I've looked at it that I can recall it has said 89 degrees C. This morning (it's about 18 deg. outside, no sun), I was sitting in traffic on my way home, and stopped at a long light, and it climbed up steadily from 100 (at the time I turned it on at the start of the wait), and by the time I was moving again it had climbed to 106 steadily. I got moving, and it slowly went back down to 95 by the time I was home less than 10 minutes later. Seems me that might be high? or is that normal that I just haven't been watching it that close?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Mine stays at 89 all the time... then again where i live there is no such thing as sitting in traffic. :lol: id have to drive a good 2+ hours to find that :lol:

I believe when sitting in traffic anywhere around 105 isnt all that unnormal...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Smokey said:
now I don't always have my coolant temp. up on my DIC, but I did have it on today. Any other time I've looked at it that I can recall it has said 89 degrees C. This morning (it's about 18 deg. outside, no sun), I was sitting in traffic on my way home, and stopped at a long light, and it climbed up steadily from 100 (at the time I turned it on at the start of the wait), and by the time I was moving again it had climbed to 106 steadily. I got moving, and it slowly went back down to 95 by the time I was home less than 10 minutes later. Seems me that might be high? or is that normal that I just haven't been watching it that close?
100% normal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent..

How hot do your cars get, not sure at what point would raise a flag that's it's getting hot? (aside from the light comming on, but then it's too late..)..

I asked the dealer what the maximum normal range is.. he said 190 (celcius).. that can't possibily be correct. seems WAY too high...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Smokey said:
excellent..

How hot do your cars get, not sure at what point would raise a flag that's it's getting hot? (aside from the light comming on, but then it's too late..)..

I asked the dealer what the maximum normal range is.. he said 190 (celcius).. that can't possibily be correct. seems WAY too high...
Nooo thats way to high, your high speed fans would have probably kicked in at about 110 and cooled it to about 90-95.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I've had my car as high as 120, 100 is just getting warmed up... har har har.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Smokey said:
excellent..

Sounds like he was talking in farenheit. Thats what the US Thermostat is set at 190*F (or 88*C for the metric lovers). 190C would be over 320*F, which 280 is a Boil-over/Cracked heads/headgasket/rod bearings.

106C is about 220*F. A bit hot, IMO, but I've seen cars do it regularly and have it dismissed as being normal. My 1995 was usually at 220*F/106C.

My G5, when moving ranges from 85-88C (180-195 about...), to 212F sittting (100C)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok.. thanks guys

Called ANOTHER dealer to get a more accurate number, since that guy was obviously out to lunch (I said celcius twice.. :cool: ) Anyways, the other dealer said the fans don't come on till 106. I think I will do a little test in the driveway and confirm it, but she said it's perfectly normal as well.

This is where a real guage comes in handy.. not a DIC display.. no indication if it is hot or not... I guess I usually look at it in traffic that is moving...

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
If you're wanting to test the Fan relay, do it without the A/C compressor on. When you have the A/C on, it automatically turns the radiator fan on reguardless of coolant temp (Or it should do so...)

Anyways, good call on using an actual external temp gauge. The temp gauges on pretty much every vehicle is not accurate.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
well if you're talking about the dashhawk, it gets it's data from the ECU so it displays the same thing as our DIC...

which seems quite accurate since it's digital and not just a needle that's set not to move around much!

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
mine sits around 88-90celcius on a normal day if i am idling the fan kicks into high around 100celcuis

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Thats normal... Cars run hotter when idling/going slow, then the fan will eventually kick in to cool things down a little. Freeway/Highway driving is the best and no fan needed because of the amount of air that clears through, all of which being for the most part cold, keeps your engine a fair bit cooler (even though it seems like its working harder).

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
yeah i've noticed since i've done some engine mods that my coolant runs a little hotter than usual.. i'm pretty sure it's normal...

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
Mine is about 90-98 celcius steady, whatever the temp is outside and driving conditions. I would think that the enging couling wouldn't be all that good for the heat as it insulated lol, but oh well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The highest i have seen mine reach is 95C while sitting in traffic, and I could hear the fan come one to cool it down. And the old habit of letting it run at idle for a moment before shutting it off after a hard run still comes in and the fan turns on then too (used to have a turbo car before this and old habits die hard.....like still using the E-brake in an auto along with it in park without a hill lol)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when you park on a hill with an auto you SHOULD put on your parking break, every single time. You are doing it 100% correct. It's a common mistake that many people overlook with an auto (I often forget I know), untill you try to get out of park, and there is so much tension on it you have problems getting it back in gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im not that good at converting to C. , but I ususally run anywhere between 180 to 215. I also have a commute thats only about 15 miles, but it can take 1 to 1.5 hrs. to make.. LOTS OF SITTING STILL TRAFFIC!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts