G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted this on css.net and I fell that it should be here as well.

I just had the ALPINE CDA-9885 head unit installed in my 2007 Pontiac G5 GT. All they used was the $15 wire harness, and $20 for the dash kit. I have the pioneer system without onstar, I lost my door chimes and thats it. THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS NOT ACSSOCIATED WITH THE HEAD UNIT AT ALL!!

I repeatedly asked them about the GMOS - lan 04 system. They assured me over and over that I do not NEED it. I could have bought it and retained these chimes, but honestly, I dont even notice that they are gone.

Some installers say that the lan kit allows the new head unit to connect to the 4 channel amp under the dash. This is also very incorrect.

Right after the head unit was installed, I went to the GM dealership and asked the technicians to hook up my car to their computer just to make sure that I didnt lose any functionality (I was still paranoid about the airbags and such). Everything was working fine, Airbags, turn signals, My amp under the dash was receiving the signal fine ( their computer didnt tell me that, my ears did.)

I hope that I have put to rest some of the questions people have about the 07 systems. I myself was very skeptical before I had this deck installed. My advice is: Do a lot of research, make sure the installer is familiar with the vehicle, and finally JUST DO IT!!

Here are some pics of my system:

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
woah mannnn, your pics are from the future...gnarly.

Anyway, good work, finally somebody decided to just go out and take the risk heh. Nobodies going to miss their door chimes IMO.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thing is you did lose more then you thought you did, if you didn't do a factory deck relocate. All of your computer codes are stored and learned from the cd player - so now, if something goes wrong with anything in the computer a GM tech won't be able to find out what code it is throwing. The GM computer won't tell you this because right now you aren't throwing codes - but if your car acts up and you take it in to them their computer will still tell them nothing.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
that only applies to vehicles with onstar and XM. base models don't have this problem :D

·
Original Member
904 Posts
you will lose XM. There is a kit that you by for like 120 bucks that allows you to retain these things

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Its about time someone with an 07 did it. When i got my 06 people were telling me shit wouldnt work but i did it anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
System looks nice, I thought that an aftermarket head unit would not look good in these cars, but surprisingly looks nice. The first picture with the airbag light on looks odd, like it has some kind of error. I would be concerned about this.
Not sure what you may have or have not lost and I would still be skeptical until GM told me what was absolutely necessary.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
The chime that dings when you open the door with the headlights on or keys in the ignition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
dtabbs said:
System looks nice, I thought that an aftermarket head unit would not look good in these cars, but surprisingly looks nice. The first picture with the airbag light on looks odd, like it has some kind of error. I would be concerned about this.
Not sure what you may have or have not lost and I would still be skeptical until GM told me what was absolutely necessary.
Concerned with what? no one is in the passenger seat so the airbag isnt on.

All looks good to me. I doubt you will have any issues. There is no way the CD player is storing anything.

Looks great :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
FuriouS said:
All looks good to me. I doubt you will have any issues. There is no way the CD player is storing anything.

If they used the same method as the Malibu's and some Sunfires they store codes. But more power to ya if its cool.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
FuriouS said:

If they used the same method as the Malibu's and some Sunfires they store codes. But more power to ya if its cool.
Sunfires never stored Codes in the HU. i know many people that replaced there headunits in there 03+ sunfires and they still were able to get and view codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok so when you went there, you just asked for the 06 harness?

I think i'll do mine this weekend,

any write ups on how to do this? I hate trying to take the dash apart and getting problems

1 - 20 of 35 Posts