G5 Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cat converter is cracked and has separated from my down pipe

The stock flex portion (looks like a smashed can) has cracked and the tubing has broken the bolts that connects the CC to the downpipe (I think)

Anyway, I was told that it can't be replaced unless I buy a whole new Cat converter.

The dealership is are trying to charge me $1,000 for the part. My car was originally from the midwest, but I moved out to CA which has very strict emission laws. The car passed the smog test. I'm guessing I can just buy a CC from a online store and have it shipped out and installed, since it passed with the stock CC in the past right?

·
1,895 Posts
As far as I know, it doesn't have to be factory stock. As long as it is a decent CAT that is of comparable quality, you're good. You may want to try to see if they have a high flow CAT for you, and if they claim it will pass California emissions, even better!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go to rock auto, get an oem replacement, spend an hour under the car, and call it a day. I recently swapped mine out and it really isn't bad, especially if you have ratcheting wrenches or the Kobalt-style hollow sockets. Otherwise, a bunch of extensions and universals work fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to rock auto, get an oem replacement, spend an hour under the car, and call it a day. I recently swapped mine out and it really isn't bad, especially if you have ratcheting wrenches or the Kobalt-style hollow sockets. Otherwise, a bunch of extensions and universals work fine

Went to Rock Auto
Not Legal For Sale Or Use In The State Of California; Not Legal in New York for vehicles with CA Emissions

I get this this from places all over the internet. Maybe a junkyard?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts