G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PursuitGT said:
jlmd said:
For $100, the magnaflow muffler is a good alternative...though it won't give the same HP gains...oh the decisions.
And why wouldnt it?
You're kidding right? For examples sake, the GMPP exhausts give 12HP(according to GM) over stock. You think simply replacing the muffler and keeping the stock exhaust piping that you are going to see that same 12HP? No way.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
jlmd said:
PursuitGT said:
jlmd said:
For $100, the magnaflow muffler is a good alternative...though it won't give the same HP gains...oh the decisions.
And why wouldnt it?
You're kidding right? For examples sake, the GMPP exhausts give 12HP(according to GM) over stock. You think simply replacing the muffler and keeping the stock exhaust piping that you are going to see that same 12HP? No way.
Do you even know whats different between the GMPP Exhaust and stock?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Here are the differences I have found between the two:

Stock:

- Stainless Steel front to back design, including tubing
- resonator

GMPP:

- Polished Stainless Steel front to back design, including tubing
- No resonator
- High flow catalytic
- Larger tubing dimensions optional (3" - required downpipe mod)
- Touring Version & Performance version
- Round "tin can" muffler

The ONLY thing different that would actually help you with HP is the high flow cat - I guarantee you the cat is not producing 12 HP extra. I have yet to see a site that mentions anything about HP gains from any exhaust system

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
farfrmnormal said:

Stock:

- resonator

GMPP:

- No resonator
- High flow catalytic

The ONLY thing different that would actually help you with HP is the high flow cat - I guarantee you the cat is not producing 12 HP extra. I have yet to see a site that mentions anything about HP gains from any exhaust system
There is no cat included.. its a Cat-Back which means it starts after the cat. so no downpipe needed and no new cat.

·
Registered
547 Posts
PursuitGT said:
black_bullet_gt said:
Oh. And one big difference is the mandrel(probably not spelled right) bends in the tubing.
The stock one is mandrel bent.
Really? I didn't think GM would use mandrel bent on a stock exhaust. The G6 exhaust is crush bent for sure, I'll have to check out the G5's when I change the oil in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Theres what the stock exhaust on a GT looks like.
Looks like over the axel on it is all messed up. mine doesnt look that bad. just has one bump in it where it went to 2.25" but i got rid of that.

·
Registered
649 Posts
black_bullet_gt said:
If the g5 one is the same as the cobalt then there definately is a resonator. I installed one with my friend 3 days ago.
Not all of them have the resonator. Nor does it show one in the picture on http://www.paceperformance.com.

Either way - to me, its a waste of money for 8-12HP. That 500-700 could be put into a major mod that will push more power.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i was thinking about either getting the touring gmpp exaust or the performance, do u "feel" a difference in power over stock similar to the feel of putting an intake on?

·
Registered
93 Posts
06blackbeauty said:
i was thinking about either getting the touring gmpp exaust or the performance, do u "feel" a difference in power over stock similar to the feel of putting an intake on?
I was thinking about almost the same thing: buying the performance gmpp exhaust sytem with the injen cai... Do you think it's a good choice or should a get a better exhaust system since i'm taking the injen intake?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Kaptainc3d said:
06blackbeauty said:
I was thinking about almost the same thing: buying the performance gmpp exhaust sytem with the injen cai... Do you think it's a good choice or should a get a better exhaust system since i'm taking the injen intake?
GMPP from what ive herd is a very good system

·
Original Member
904 Posts
farfrmnormal said:

Stock:

- resonator

GMPP:

- No resonator
- High flow catalytic

from the sound clip the only diffrence is that one doesn't have a resonator. from my experience with the pacesetter, thats what i sounds like

1 - 20 of 49 Posts