G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after picking up my new GT on Saturday, I've rolled about 600 miles on it and thought I would share my first impressions.

Firstly... I "downgraded" from an '04 3.9L Mustang... sadly enough because of fuel prices... and that's really a long story... suffice it to say, I left the 'Stang there and it really bothered me to do so... :(

Enough of that BS... on to new things.

Firstly, overall, I really like this car. Hard to tell yet... as it's not nearly ready to "open up"... but I think it's probably as quick... if not quicker than my previous ride. THAT is impressive!

It handles like it's on rails.. and that's an huge plus for me. I liked that about it when I test drove it and even more now that we're getting acquainted... so to speak. The handling certainly belies the weight. I'm amazed the car is only 80# less than the Mustang. :shock:

Being a bit OCD, I changed the oil at 250 miles... took me a while to find the filter... never seen such a thing on a modern vehicle... I thought we got away from that in the 50's, but so be it. Actually... it's kind of nice as GM usually positions spin on filters such that you end up with a nice coating of oil on the crossmember when you remove them. Anyhow, once found, changing was a breeze. I plan on doing it again at 1K miles... right after I seat the rings. :twisted:

The car has an awful lot of interesting features. The stereo system truly requires a good reading of the directions as while certainly an excellent system, not overtly intuitive. This would be the 2nd "factory" system I've had... that I didn't feel compelled to rip out and upgrade. And what's with that bigass subwoofer anyhow? Never had one before. I think I actually like it! :D

DIC is a nice addition.... and I'm wondering about the accuracy of such information as fuel economy and remaining range.... my first re-fill, I seemed to get about 26.5 MPG and I'll be darned if that's not what the 'puter said. As to avg. speed...well.... while interesting... not sure what I would use the info for. Outside temp I'm almost obsessed with... as it's pretty much quantifying everything I "feel" when I ride the same roads on the motorcycle.

Speaking of which... I will be affixing a trailer hitch to the car... as I do have a wee utility trailer for general use... as well as to take the motorcycle to rallys. I anticipate that it will handle the load sans any issues as it certainly has more than enough pull... and the manual trans will be a great advantage whilst trailering.

I had modified my Mustang with a CAI, Y-Pipe duals and an SCT Flash Tuner.... I don't think at this point I will be doing anything with the G5... if at all... maybe just the exhaust and the intake... nothing radical. Basically what I'm looking at is keeping it in "best possible fuel economy" trim.

As to anything dubious about it... two things actually... and they are minor. Firstly... WTF were they thinking with the E-brake???? Secondly... the view out the back isn't the greatest... but I can live with it.

It's great that there are forums like these to visit... always an excellent resource. I'm glad to be aboard.

Now... let's get back out there and DRIVE... :D

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Yeah, the G5 handles loads and trailers well. I had my 4 cubic foot trailer loaded to the rims with sand and my car took it like a champ, definately overweight for the class 1 trailer hitch, so if anybody from Transport Canada is reading this, I raise my middle finger.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
the e-brake sucks, you will get used to it, lol. as for the rear view, the side mirrors are sufficient, I would pull the rearview out but I need some light in the car. i got the sunroof so the only light is form that. there peppy cars man, once you open her up you will be amazed, i drove for 1k after buying with flooring it, lol. it was tough to do after the test drive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dunno where you're getting the 80lbs difference though. A V6 Stang is about 3300lbs according to several internet Mustang sites. The G5 will go for about 28-2900 depending on options.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not to be ragging on the stang, but you should be as fast, if not slightly faster than the 04 stang v6. The G5 GT/Cobalt SS 2.4 were compared to find out what the fastest cars under $20k (US) were. The new v6 stang was first with the G5 GT/Cobalt SS 2.4 right behind it in second. Also, the stang was the only rwd that I noticed on the list. Didn't pay much attention after #2 though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The '04 Mustang GT's weigh in at about 3273#.. the V6's 3077# as I recall, I got that figure ate Edmunds.com That's where I got the 2991# figure for the G5 GT as well. Either way... the G5 fells one heck of a lot lighter.

No offense taken at all yes... they're underpowered. The 3.8 dates back to the early 1980s and was originally a carbureted version. The modern split-port injected version is rated at 190hp Mine, being late production was actually a 3.9 (different cam and crank... no increase in stock HP). Even with all the "improvements" over time... it's still a 25 year old design. Hence they're going to the newed OHC mill.

And I should have known better.... having had similar experiences with "Dealer Prep"... after getting not the greatest fuel mileage... I decided to check the air pressure on the tires... 3 of them were at 25psi and the 4th at 30. :roll: Aired them up to 35psi and what a difference! Won't know about fuel economy but acceleration and handling improves very substantially... I think they do it on purpose... to give the cars a "softer" ride for test drives. Either that... or they just don't pay any attention 'til a tire goes flat on them.

I do mostly use the sideviews... they work well and are nice size. Having the sunroof as well... yeah... there's a bit of a shortcoming as to rear seat lighting.

I think the G5 and I will be "friends" for a long time. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bone Man said:
The '04 Mustang GT's weigh in at about 3273#.. the V6's 3077# as I recall, I got that figure ate Edmunds.com That's where I got the 2991# figure for the G5 GT as well. Either way... the G5 fells one heck of a lot lighter.

The 2991lbs figure has been reported by a lot of sources including GM itself on the chevrolet.com website. GM has since corrected the mistake on it's own site as it now has 2681lbs listed as the estimated weight for the coupe. I would assume that weight is for a base model coupe. Our GT would clock in at just under 2800lbs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would think that another reason why the G5 seems to be quicker is due to drivetrain power loss. You lose less hp from the flywheel to the wheels in a fwd than you do a rwd. fwd is more efficient that why. it just has less parts and weight to move than a rwd. also, gm like to underrate their power numbers. for example, the supercharged cobalt is rated at 205hp stock. most dynos and grand am series race teams i've spoke with have said they are getting around 236-238bhp. so, it can be assumed that the 205 is the minimum that should be seen at the wheels. keep in mind that is based on third party heresay.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 2991lbs figure has been reported by a lot of sources including GM itself on the chevrolet.com website. GM has since corrected the mistake on it's own site as it now has 2681lbs listed as the estimated weight for the coupe. I would assume that weight is for a base model coupe. Our GT would clock in at just under 2800lbs.
I'll be darned... well that certainly makes sense then!

I would think that another reason why the G5 seems to be quicker is due to drivetrain power loss. You lose less hp from the flywheel to the wheels in a fwd than you do a rwd.
LOL... add to that my Mustang was the 4-speed automatic (re-programmed... but automatic nonetheless).

Good information to know. I wonder if the Insurance Company databases have been updated to reflect the mis-stated weight. After all... a 2800# car would do MUCH less damage than a 2991# car... :lol:

·
Registered
493 Posts
McG said:
Bone Man said:

Damn! did not know we were that light.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
had mine on the scale yesterday.

1400kg exact with:
100% full tank of gas - not sure what that weighs...
1 driver 150lbs
and about 50lbs of work stuff.

and if I did my math correct that works out to..
3080lbs

2880lbs with just gas.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
hahah! I was going to go get my scale tickets, you beat me to it!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
denlou said:
hahah! I was going to go get my scale tickets, you beat me to it!
haha! win for me. lol. I was bored and it is right besid ethe gas station so I tohught... wth lets go for it. in line with 3 other big rigs, lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
cruisn said:

1400kg exact with:
1 driver 150lbs

3080lbs

2880lbs with just gas.
Gas weighs about 1.6 pounds per litre depending on temperature. 50 litre tank full would be about 80 lbs.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
McG said:
cruisn said:

1400kg exact with:
1 driver 150lbs

3080lbs

2880lbs with just gas.
Gas weighs about 1.6 pounds per litre depending on temperature. 50 litre tank full would be about 80 lbs.
well then, 2800lbs for an empty GT, but who can honestly run like that lets go with 1/4 tank. lol. 2820lbs....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
McG said:
That would be 6.6lbs./gallon US. :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts