G5 Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm new to the car and I've never had an onboard that would tell me what my "Fuel Economy" was. So, I thought last night I would see if I could "fool" this thing... so, I topped up at a station that was at the top of a very long... yet gradual hill. (Route 206 in NJ by Stokes State Forest).

I re-set the fuel economy meter.... gently rolled it up to speed and proceeded to coast in neutral down this long hill.

By the time I got to the bottom, I was up to 50mpg.

Interestingly enough it stayed up there for quite some time!

So.. anyone else ever "play" with their fuel economy meter... and if so... how high didya get before you had to re-engage the engine?

·
Registered
110 Posts
messing around: got it up to 70+ mpg, reset it at the top of a fairly long, steep hill, 5th gear 30 mph.

i kinda wish it had a current rating along with an average

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
Yeah, I had mine as low as 6.0L/100km, I think that is about 40mpg. And I was actually driving on the highway going 130kph... mind you it was for almost 600km straight run!

Long distance driving FTMFW! :D

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
dentresistant said:
messing around: got it up to 70+ mpg, reset it at the top of a fairly long, steep hill, 5th gear 30 mph.

i kinda wish it had a current rating along with an average
I have it with my dashhawk and it's frightening :shock: you can see the $ going out of your pockets when you floor it, literally! :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
mine sits at 8.7 mostly I can get 6-7 if I only do 100, or rolling down hill I got 3.6 once lol....followed by a steep jump to 12.8 when I put my foot into it :roll:

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
Once I noticed the economy jumping to 32l/100km when I floored it.... I was shocked! I never knew it ran that rich. :shock:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Ive seen as low as 5L/100km with normal driving. When playing with it i have seen as low as 1-2L/100km all the way to 99.9L/100km but that was because i reset it while sitting still :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
iixnullxii said:
Coming down from Big Bear Mountain I hit 99.9MPG. I had the car in Neutral and was doing 60-70MPH all the way down.
Ditto. I was wondering if you would get better gas mileage to coast down a hill in neutral and occasionally brake to slow down, or to stay in 5th and occasionally tap the gas to maintain speed. I can't really check, because the MPG pegs at 99.9 each time I try it.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
last time i tried going down hill in neutral my car only went down to 1500rpm, then when i would stop the car it would go down to the usual 900rpm but i still loved seein the gas milage go up, then when it would come to going back up the hill flooring it lol it would almost go back to where it was in the first place

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is fun to watch for certain. I'm going to have to re-visit my manual and see if I can in any way glean what the "Design Intent" of the FEM actually is. If it's supposed to give you what your fuel economy is pursuant to a tankful of gas... (if you reset in when filling), I daresay it's not overtly accurate.

I've consistently beat the numbers MPG wise.

Getting about 28mpg so far....

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I was told 45mpg when I bought my car highway... I tohught okay if I get 35 im doing good. I can never get over 30....

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
cruisn said:
I was told 45mpg when I bought my car highway... I tohught okay if I get 35 im doing good. I can never get over 30....
highway doing about 120km/h i can get 32, if i slow down to 100km/h it goes upto around 35

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
99 mpg for about 1 min straight. i was going down a hill going 80-85 mph. held the clutch in and reset the economy. so i was going 85 at idle.

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
I'm at the end of my second full tank with the tuned ECU, and I'm getting 10.8L/100kms, but about 95% of that is city driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts