G5 Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to this G5 community, I recently bought a 2nd car, it's a 2007 pontiac g5 base model sedan, the guy I bought it from told me he was selling it because he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working anymore. ANYWAYS
I purchased a new fuel pump from rockauto, and I didn't go for the cheapest one either, I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel tank, car didn't start, I changed the fuel pump fuse and it started YAY... no, came back to work on the car yesterday after I got some new parts (Tank is still dropped but everything is properly connected) and now the car won't start, the fuel pump isn't getting power, I checked and tried to replace the fuse and the relay under the hood, the relay is getting power but not the fuse, I checked the whole wiring harness connected to the tank, cleaned it and it has no severed connections or anything. Obviously the car is throwing the famous P0230 code (fuel pump primary circuit). What I don't understand is that the car worked fine and idled perfectly not long ago, but now it just isn't working. Any ideas?? Thanks a lot in advance! You can also reply through my e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to this G5 community, I recently bought a 2nd car, it's a 2007 pontiac g5 base model sedan, the guy I bought it from told me he was selling it because he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working anymore. ANYWAYS
I purchased a new fuel pump from rockauto, and I didn't go for the cheapest one either, I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel tank, car didn't start, I changed the fuel pump fuse and it started YAY... no, came back to work on the car yesterday after I got some new parts (Tank is still dropped but everything is properly connected) and now the car won't start, the fuel pump isn't getting power, I checked and tried to replace the fuse and the relay under the hood, the relay is getting power but not the fuse, I checked the whole wiring harness connected to the tank, cleaned it and it has no severed connections or anything. Obviously the car is throwing the famous P0230 code (fuel pump primary circuit). What I don't understand is that the car worked fine and idled perfectly not long ago, but now it just isn't working. Any ideas?? Thanks a lot in advance! You can also reply through my e-mail [email protected]
UPDATE: checked the plug-in that powers the fuel pump, the purple connector is getting about 3.9 volts, and the grey and black is getting about 5.4 Volts, no other wires have power to them (duh) but I checked and cleaned most of my grounds in the engine bay, checked my wiring, everything is in order, honestly, I'm stunned I am out of ideas

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Turn the car on but not over (until you see the lights on the dash come on) and listen for a groan. That should be the fuel pump. Depending on how back the assembly was, you may also need to change the fuel filter.
Additionally, when you start the car, does the solenoid click? What about the injectors (multiple clicks)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turn the car on but not over (until you see the lights on the dash come on) and listen for a groan. That should be the fuel pump. Depending on how back the assembly was, you may also need to change the fuel filter.
Additionally, when you start the car, does the solenoid click? What about the injectors (multiple clicks)?
I don't get any noise from the fuel pump, and it's brand new, the fuel filter is brand new as well, everything's worked fine until like a month ago when I returned to work on it and it wouldn't start. The fuel pump is literally not getting enough power, I think there is a short somewhere along the wiring, do you know if the fuel pump wiring travels on the driver side or passenger side of the car?

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
If it was working after you replaced it, let it sit for a while, and no fuses are burnt, then you have a ground lead failure. You'll need to trace the clip plug which runs center until you're closer to the front which diverges to the driver side. Also get a ground tester on the wire itself; in case the grounds are fine, but as you said the wire itself is broken somewhere (rare this happens).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was working after you replaced it, let it sit for a while, and no fuses are burnt, then you have a ground lead failure. You'll need to trace the clip plug which runs center until you're closer to the front which diverges to the driver side. Also get a ground tester on the wire itself; in case the grounds are fine, but as you said the wire itself is broken somewhere (rare this happens).
I'm out of town until the end of the week, but that's my next plan, I had already cleaned a few grounds, but next step is to follow the wiring all the way down to the pump, thanks a lot! I'll keep you posted once I'm back to it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm out of town until the end of the week, but that's my next plan, I had already cleaned a few grounds, but next step is to follow the wiring all the way down to the pump, thanks a lot! I'll keep you posted once I'm back to it!
Hello! I was wondering did you end up figuring out the problem? I’m currently having the exact same issue as you and I’m have no idea what to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts