G5 Club banner

Who do you think will win?

• 2007 pontiac g5 coupe base 2.2 liter

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmmmm, this is a tough one to call but I think the G5 will win if you can drive it.

The Civic has gained serious weight with the redesign and although they have almost as much horsepower, they still need torque to carry all that weight.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I've raced an 04 Civic DX, stick and I took him pretty good on my 2.2 (also stick). Yes at a track.

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
I had the 1.7L v-tec civic (01, same generation) and they were a SLOW 129 HP, and very little torque. You should get him by about 2 car lengths at least.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
g5, these civics are pigs, even with an intake

I "raced" one of these in an automatic 2.2 115hp cavalier and won by quite a lot, so with the new ecotec and even more power, you shouldn't be worried at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my buddy beat him with his 95 elcipse rs. this guy thinks his civic is bad ass. i wanna beat him so bad because he made fun of my g5 cause it's auto.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, I agree. The G5 develops more torque, and it has a better power to weight ratio. Also, the 4 speed auto in the G5 is efficient, and it would take plenty of skill to outshift it with a manual.

·
Registered
97 Posts
McG said:
Hmmmm, this is a tough one to call but I think the G5 will win if you can drive it.

The Civic has gained serious weight with the redesign and although they have almost as much horsepower, they still need torque to carry all that weight.
Ok, I though the Civic redo was 2005. So you're racing one of the older lighter versions. I think he's gonna beat you.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
all civics are slow. there older ones with to 130hp are slow and the new ones with 140hp are slow, the 2.2 will beat it no proplem. my sunfire used to take civics out with the 2.2 115hp motor. dont worry civics dont put up fights

·
Registered
407 Posts
the auto my not be a manual and it may not be a sport shift manual but you can help it out by shifting for it, dont be affraid to use the L, I and D if you have a basic understanding of Stick driving, just make sure to let off the gas between manual shifts with the auto, it will handle anything other then that greatly

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
McG said:
McG said:

Ok, I though the Civic redo was 2005. So you're racing one of the older lighter versions. I think he's gonna beat you.
the civic's were re-done in 2006. the 7th gens were from 2001 to 2005. the new body ones are 2006-present.

the one he wants to race has 129 HP, and the intake barely makes a diff on those cars. they're still slow.

the 2006-present (non-Si versions) have about 140 HP, and up here in Canada, the CSX I think has a different version of the engine, and comes with close to 160HP?

just do it already, and tell us what we all want to hear; that you smoked his cocky ass. lol :twisted:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Uhh dude. The G5 thats all there is to it. The 2.2 carrys more torque and just produce more power overall. Even the new civic si's with the 197 hp 2.0L wouldnt do well against a G5. Hondas have problems with torque. G5 hands down.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
the SI's would kill a 2.2L in the long run. they take a while to build up in the rpm's but once they're up there, the hp takes over and they would smoke a base. even possibly a stock GT. torque gets you there, but hp wins in the long run

back to this thread, i think you have a pretty good shot

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i was coming home from the movies with my wife and he pulled up next to me and raced i smoked the shit outta him lol atleast by a 1.5 car lengths. so he didnt like it and so at the next light he wanted to go again and i won again by about the same HAHHHA i didnt even shift my auto manual. i really need to get some mods done tho.

·
Registered
239 Posts
njg5gt said:
the SI's would kill a 2.2L in the long run. they take a while to build up in the rpm's but once they're up there, the hp takes over and they would smoke a base. even possibly a stock GT. torque gets you there, but hp wins in the long run

back to this thread, i think you have a pretty good shot
True dat very true. Horses are what carry you down the road. Torque is what gets you off the line and moving. Nice kill btw man i cant stand hondas lol we have too many of those guys around here in hondas that think their the shit.

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
Good job man, keep the scare building in the import crowds! Before I picked up my GT, I had an 06' Ion3 with the same 2.4 VVt motor, and I smoked an 01' Accord with the 4cyl, but still had him wondering "WTF?" :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts