G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in auto parts and we just got a bulletin from GM saying that they no longer approve Castrol GTX 5w-30 for use in GM products and only 5w-30........................ Castrol is fighting this fact with GM now as you read...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting. One the guys in my former shop has a Saturn SL1 with a headgasket external leak. GTX is what he uses not because it doesn't leak out as fast.

·
Registered
641 Posts
g5mike said:
you guys just got this bulliten.LOL!! this was circulated a month ago>
Good job telling us. :roll:

I can't imagine using anything by synthetic oil anyways, so this doesn't effect me, I do however wonder what is up with that oil? Is is made from whales? Hmmm.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
28 Posts
All GM vehicles come with non-synthetic oil unless specifically identified by an under hood plaque such as on the Corvette.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I drained the factory oil, and installed Syntec 5-30 synthetic. I decided that was the best thing to do, because ordinary mineral oil builds up sludge over time. I've never seen any sludge in an engine running synthetic. In the long run there isn't any money saved by using ordinary oil over sythetic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i think its crap that GM thinks you can get 7500miles out of your oil before you have to change it, if you plan on having your car for a while i would change every 3 to cause less engine wear.

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
I figure that if GM is going to put a 1x10^5 mile warranty on my engine, they probably know what they are doing with that oil life monitor.

BTW, I have driven 6000 miles on this oil and my oil life monitor only says 61%. However, I did change the first oil early (at 45%) because I had 8000 miles on it and was getting scared... :shock:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I did my first one at 1000 miles because.

A.) I don't like GM's stock fill.
B.) With my luck that oil had been sitting in the car since it was made.
C.) I'm paranoid about filings in new engines.
D.) I'm crazy.

I just scheduled my next one with my mechanic to use Royal Purple. I'm at close to 5000 miles and I might try to ride that one out for awhile.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I totally trust GM and the OilLife System. when I got my car it had 248 kms on it and the salesman assured me I would be good for about 11,000 kms, and sure enough, I was a little over 11,000 when my monitor hit 10% so I had it changed. I did it again at 16,000 because I was driving across Canada during which my odomoter went from 16,000 to 21,500 and 5 months later it reads almost 29,000 kms and my oil is being changed tomorrow for the third time in one year, and the car still works like brand new. When I had the semi-annual service done on it my mechanic assured me that there were no filings or build up anywhere so I don't worry about it. Plus the warranty is awesome :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I trust the GM Oil Life System. I see nothing wrong with it. Modern cars, and modern lubricants, are a lot different than they were in the past.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would put more faith in the oil monitor system if it actually checked the oil as opposed to just applying an algorithm to get the projected life. But what do I care, I am leasing, and the lease is up before the warranty.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Crack the hood, check the color of the oil and make a decision?

·
Registered
70 Posts
denlou said:
Crack the hood, check the color of the oil and make a decision?
Colour is not the main indicator you should be looking at. The oil life monitor should be monitoring ph level at the minimum to be truly useful. If you rely on the colour method, you will be changing your oil weekly. Oil that is doing its job will be black in days, given that one of its jobs is to suspend contaminents.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts