G5 Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2007 base G5 (2.2L/5 spd) and I've been doing some scouring to try to get some ideas on upgrades for ol blue. The radio screen went wonky a while ago and an overzealous technical tap did it in (replaced with a BT radio). It has 120k on the car (bought it brand new in 07). My wife has a 2018 equinox with the 2.0L turbo (LTG if I'm not mistaken) and I think I might turbocharged the 2.2 instead of doing an LTG swap. My biggest question is will I need to replace the internals or will the stock bottom end handle the extra heat?

Thoughts?
Brad

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Gonna be an expensive build! Stock 2.2 can handle a mild TC/SC. Save $$$, and get a better exhaust (manifold to muffler), cold air intake, and a custom tune.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
As Dart said, that's going to be some hard $$$. Since you have an '07, you should have the stronger internals to at least handle some boost, but probably only max like 8psi. You could start with a supercharger setup first as that's about $3000 to do it properly: M62, Manifold, LSJ TB, pigtail connectors, intercooler, CAI, dual pass, case vent, and a tune. It would put you to about 250hp at max safe capacity for the engine internals.

Turbo setup, you'll require new forged rods, pistons, larger: header primaries, downpipe, exhaust (resonator, and cat depending where you live). This would cost closer to $6000.

Additionally, you would also say goodbye to cheaper gas prices. Once you go F/I, the lowest grade you can go is 91.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Don't get boosted, do intake, exhaust, & tune, and leftover $$ buys upgraded springs, dampers & sway bars. Adding a rear bar makes a HUGE difference, alone! No sense in going 'fast' on base/FE1 suspension!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
I agree. The 2.4L engine would be the choice to F/I, the rear sway bar is always recommended. Takes 30 minutes to install solo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts