G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was daydreaming at work today about how to make the grills cooler and this is what i came up with. what if i painted the insides of the honeycombs gloss black and left the thin forward edges (the whole front face) as it. it wouldnt be too difficult. you would just have to put tape over the whole front of the grills (the tape would only touch the thin front edges of the plastic) and spray them from behind.

how do you guys think this would look (i have a black car but im talking about color matching too the car)?

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im trying to continue a blacked out theme, other than the wheels. m would love to have some dark gunmetal or black chrome grills for the whole front end (i have a base). but this isnt an option yet.

·
Registered
493 Posts
karnivor said:
im trying to continue a blacked out theme, other than the wheels. m would love to have some dark gunmetal or black chrome grills for the whole front end (i have a base). but this isnt an option yet.
i like the blacked out theme(seen a few) but a grill color close to the color of your wheels offsets the black theme nicely.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
someone just needs to make them for our cars. like a full kit that is an original fit that replaces all 5 on the base and all 3 on the gt. that would be tight. i could buy the universal grill material but i dont want to just "wrap" the front of the existing pieces, and i was looking and if i were to take the pieces out and glue/bondo/epoxy the grill material from the back it would look horrible because they are inset so the existing pieces can snap it. i could just paint the stock ones whatever color, but the it looks like i just painted it. what to do what to do

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I like the Billet Grill, like G5Mikes, but I saw a base cobalt with them, and they look horrible. I'm going to wait till I can afford a GT Bumper before I work on changing the Grills.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had an Idea given to me the other day from a coworker... He said I should try and go for the Nissan Sentra sport model grill look. Like a whole Delete of the front upper grill and then just get some universal grill and cover in the opening and paint it a flat or semi gloss black to match the other three grills.

Kinda get rid of the Pontiac Nostrils and move the badge to the hood? Wonder if anyone GOOD at photoshop could take the time out to do this just to see how it'd look?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yellow07G5 said:
I had an Idea given to me the other day from a coworker... He said I should try and go for the Nissan Sentra sport model grill look. Like a whole Delete of the front upper grill and then just get some universal grill and cover in the opening and paint it a flat or semi gloss black to match the other three grills.

Kinda get rid of the Pontiac Nostrils and move the badge to the hood? Wonder if anyone GOOD at photoshop could take the time out to do this just to see how it'd look?
Id be VERY interested in seeing this1 can you put up a pic or sketch of what you mean?edit this>just went to thier site,I think that would be sweet,give your g5 a little stealth.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That looks pretty good. It takes a bit of time to get used to though. I've gotten used to the buck tooth. Can you PS the same thing but a 3/4 shot of the car?

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the thing is that you would have to cut plastic to make it like that photoshop pic. whoever said that idea said to remove the piece that holds the grills ad replace it with mesh. if you did that there would be no support at the top where the hood meets the body. it wouldnt work without cutting the existing "upper bumper", and cutting major cosmetic areas never turns out good/as planned

·
Registered
493 Posts
karnivor said:
the thing is that you would have to cut plastic to make it like that photoshop pic. whoever said that idea said to remove the piece that holds the grills ad replace it with mesh. if you did that there would be no support at the top where the hood meets the body. it wouldnt work without cutting the existing "upper bumper", and cutting major cosmetic areas never turns out good/as planned
Its not easy,took a lot of time.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im talking about the guy that said remove the insert that replaces the cobalt grill. the piece that the 2 honeycomb grills are in. he was saying replace that whole thing with mesh. at least i think

·
Registered
649 Posts
Its a photoshop - and I said to replace it. I know it would take cutting and the top portion would be supported if you look at how it is fastened to the whole car itself - it is fastened with plugs under the hood. YES it would take alot of work - but if you're a DIE hard modder then anything is possible.

The photoshop I did was for someone who mentioned the Sentra look. It was not about your original post about painting.

·
Registered
493 Posts
For our grills,its a little different than the balts.First remove the center piece, now you need a dremel to cut out the two honeycomb pieces(this will not effect how the rest of the piece is latched to the car). Now all you have to do is decide what mesh etc, you are going to use for your inserts.You could two way tape them on, or do it a little more proffessional and rivit it on,rivits is what I used

1 - 20 of 26 Posts