Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Name: Haynes Cobalt & G5 Manual

Type of Modification: Repair Manual

Price:

Product Rating:

Where you bought it: Ordered Directly From Haynes

I ordered this manual today from Haynes. It's manual 38017. As soon as I get it I'll write a review for it. It was about 27 dollars including shipping. Haynes has a toll free order number on their web site.

Generally, I've found current Haynes manuals not to be as good as they were 20 years ago. But, sometimes they're all you can get. The factory manuals are about 300 dollars a set. They have a DVD out for 400 dollars. Too much for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
Had a Hanes and a Chilton's for my '96 Sunfire. Hanes was great for mechanical, an charts, an stuff. Chilton's was number one for interior repairs. Interesting to see how they've developed.

Edit: Crap, my bad. Hanes- interior, Chilton-mechanical.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New Manual

G5Mike,

It must be a new manual, because none of the auto parts stores around here can even get it. Their suppliers don't have it. I tried two different NAPA stores, a CarQuest, and an Autozone, all with no luck. They couldn't even order it. So, I ordered it direct from Haynes. I've done that before to get automotive manuals.

Skinjob

·
Registered
641 Posts
My friend bought the Haynes manual for his car (98 Regal GS) and half way through it says something along the lines of.

We will not go indepth about the L67 Supercharged engine.

That book right now is in a closet somewhere...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Review of Haynes Manual

Brand: Haynes Repair Manual
"General Motors Chevrolet Cobalt & Pontiac G5, 2005-2007" #38017

Price: $27.00 U.S. with shipping

Purchased From: Haynes North America, Inc. (phone order)

Quality: (rate 1-10) 6 or 7
Would you Recommend to Others: With reservations. It's better than nothing.

Any Other Comments: Cheap low quality gray pulpish paper. Too much generalized automobile information; I don't care about upolstery care and other trivia; I bought this understanding that it is specifically for the Cobalt and the G5. Probably 25% of the book, or more, is written like filler of some kind, with no specific information or illustrations. The puny illustrations are small with no color. :(

Not worth 27 dollars, it would be okay at about 8 or 10 dollars. Yet, if that is all there is without spending 100s of dollars for the factory manuals, perhaps it's okay? Where are the Chilton and Clymer manuals for the Cobalt and the G5? Would they be better?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Re: Review of Haynes Manual

Skinjob said:

Any Other Comments: Cheap low quality gray pulpish paper. Too much generalized automobile information; I don't care about upolstery care and other trivia; I bought this understanding that it is specifically for the Cobalt and the G5. Probably 25% of the book, or more, is written like filler of some kind, with no specific information or illustrations. The puny illustrations are small with no color. :(

Not worth 27 dollars, it would be okay at about 8 or 10 dollars. Yet, if that is all there is without spending 100s of dollars for the factory manuals, perhaps it's okay? Where are the Chilton and Clymer manuals for the Cobalt and the G5? Would they be better?
We warned you, I must have owned 10 different manuals from Haynes over the years, just from others who got them an gave them to me. 80% of the book is generalized gibberish like you said.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Haynes/Chiltons is clownshoes.

When I had the opportunity when I had the Grand Am to get a cheap used GM Service Manual, I jumped on it. After that, I never used the Haynes.

Anyways, the cost of the GM Helm Inc manual isn't completely awful price wise, Its only a 130 dollars, but well worth it (I would have suggest eBay for the G5, but they don't have any cheap ones up yet. I know I snagged a used one for 20 bucks for the GA.)

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
Re: Review of Haynes Manual

Skinjob said:

:arrow: Haynes and Chilton manuals are the same company now, (Thompson Learning owns both of these publication.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts