G5 Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have been fighting with my G5 to get it in reverse. It only has 141 000 km on it and I lubricated the cables after putting some Pb Blaster to kill the rust, since in Quebec we have plenty of it. It spent most of the summer by the side of the road, between road trips, so I wouldn't have to back it up and if I had to, I would put it in neutral to move it. It is completely ridiculus. But now winter is coming and I have to do something to get the problem fixed.
The other gears can be engaged rather smoothly. Movement up and down is the easiest. Left and right is more difficult. I was wondering if any of you had a similar issue before.
It is really hell but I love this car and want to investigate further. I am thinking about getting new shifter cables since they are discontinued and it wouldn't hurt to have them.
Any thoughts, any leads would be greatly appreciated
Thank you all for any help that could make my dream come true: having a car that can back up easily and safely! Car Automotive side marker light Snow Vehicle Photograph

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have been fighting with my G5 to get it in reverse. It only has 141 000 km on it and I lubricated the cables after putting some Pb Blaster to kill the rust, since in Quebec we have plenty of it. It spent most of the summer by the side of the road, between road trips, so I wouldn't have to back it up and if I had to, I would put it in neutral to move it. It is completely ridiculus. But now winter is coming and I have to do something to get the problem fixed.
The other gears can be engaged rather smoothly. Movement up and down is the easiest. Left and right is more difficult. I was wondering if any of you had a similar issue before.
It is really hell but I love this car and want to investigate further. I am thinking about getting new shifter cables since they are discontinued and it wouldn't hurt to have them.
Any thoughts, any leads would be greatly appreciated
Thank you all for any help that could make my dream come true: having a car that can back up easily and safely! View attachment 18174
Long shot, half-assed guess that the safety gate Maybe broken somehow. It prevents shifting into reverse directly from 5th gear. I've never heard of any such problem, it's what I can think of. As long as the cables afford smooth motion elsewise, it's just about the only other possibility I can think of.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would make some sense. Today was nice weather so I removed the cup holder and gave a second look at the cables. They do move rather smoothly. The issue really is to get it in reverse.I even filmed it but the file doesn't seem readable.
It also makes sense that there is a safety gate. If broken, problems could be there. Could it be the gear itself that might be damaged? Scarlett (that's her name) is now parked a the end of the driveway until I figure out what to do. I will try to understand the system better and know the parts names so if I need to order something it will be easier.
I got the shifter cables anyway for not too much money since they are discontinued, I might hold on to them. I will try to unhook the cables and feel if it moves freely in order to determine if the shifting lever is the culprit. I will do some digging and researching before getting it towed out of the driveway and to a more specialized shop if beyond what I want to undertake (such as in playing in transmission itself!!).
Does anyone know what the name of this safety gate might be?
Thanks for the lead and any cheering!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts