G5 Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So obviously I am a novice painter at best so this will probably be another DIY learning experience for me. I'm fine with that because its just paint, its cosmetic stuff that wont hurt the engine or drivetrain for that matter, I am not by any means claiming to be a paint expert. So Ill be updating this thread as I go along with the project, it was raining on/off today so I just picked up the supplies and sanded the hood and roof. I started by getting a bucket of hot soapy water and cleaning the hood with some Simple Green. I then used a 180 grit (see pictures) to smooth out the surface as best as I could, after sanding the entire surface I would clean it off with the soapy water, and then sand it again. Tomorrow weather permitting I will prime the hood, sand the hood again and see how it looks from there.

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Daytime

Okay so today I primed the hood sanded it wet sand two cans of black gloss and then can of clear coat.
Car White Hood Sleeve Grille

I did it outdoors so there's some imperfections also the bottom of my spray can somehow managed to glide across. Buff now probably add another coat of clear coat but for that it's definitely improvement compared to what you see and it won't rust anymore.
Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
'Gremlin' the 07 G5GT (913L)
62 Posts
Looks alot better. I cant tell if the streaks in the last photo are from reflection or not, but they wouldnt be too hard to smooth out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks alot better. I cant tell if the streaks in the last photo are from reflection or not, but they wouldnt be too hard to smooth out.
Maybe, the sun literally went down as soon as I finished the clear coat so I won't be able to really see it till tomorrow and I'll take better pictures of the hood. How would you smooth it out?

·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
96 Posts
If you can do this in a covered area, and protected from the elements, it will turn out 100X better. This way, you can remove some of the smaller, subtle and particulates from the hood using a "Tack Cloth". Even in controlled environments, you will get stuff floating in the air and landing on your project...so you should expect small things and particulates landing on your project.

So far, you've done pretty good. You just need a good tooth in the finish to help the next layers to adhere. I'd recommend sanding in between each coat of primer. This gets off the goop that shoots out of the sprayer nozzle, which lands on your car. You wont be able to see it when it's primer and you might not even feel it. When you lay down the black paint, you're going to see it. I'd recommend epoxy primer for the best adhesion to the previous paint. Since the OEM paint is older, you really don't have to worry about the paints reacting to one another...but make sure the primer, paint and clear coats are compatible. If not, you'll have a REAL BIG mess on your hands!!!

Good luck, best wishes and post up your progress!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts