G5 Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my G5 for about 5yrs and the alternator has decided to crap out. I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to already replace it. Anyhoo.... how hard is it to replace?

·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
67 Posts
WOW...only 40 minutes after the original post!!

Funny, because I was only 3 bolts, a nut and a clip away from doing this job about 7 times in the past 2 weeks! If this was for the starter or side cover, I could even tell you the torque specs and aproximate time it takes to do the job.

It isn't too difficult, but you'll need some time. After the car is jacked up and secured, you need to get some tools.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you'll need a:
  • 13 mm and 10 mm socket
  • a short extension (optional)
  • socket wrench
  • small screw driver (to help remove the clips)
  • a larger scredriver (I'd get a flat one AND a philips, as I don't know which you'll need to remove the air cleaner)
  • a pliers (to remove the upper radiator clamp)
  • small nylon pry bar (to help get some of the plastic retainers free and make it easier to access the clips)
  • masking tape & marker (to label what goes where)
  • serpentine belt removal tool 👉👉👉 You can use the socket wrench, but that method is not easy to do and there is almost NO room to take off the belt!
  • A plastic baggie (to put the clip retainers, bolts, etc. in. This way,everything is in ONE place and wont get lost)!!!
Once you take the tension off the belt, I found, it is definitely easier to pull the belt off the A/C condenser than the crank / Harmonic Balancer. This is siply due to the smaller pulley size. The Harmonic Balancer (Crank) pulley is much larger and it isn't as easy to try to get the belt off of it.

If you have to remove the clips going to the throttle body, mass air flow and intake, DO NOT MIX THEM UP!!! (hence the masking tape and marker).
I forget which clip is which, but 2 of those things clips are exactly the same. It is REALLY easy to cross them / mix them up. If you DO mix them up, your car will go NUTSO and it will not start!!! If I were you, I'd label them as you remove it. You don't need to know exactly what the clips do and their end points. Just label each side of the clip using a simple "A" to "A", "B" to "B", etc. works. I usially put the tape on and leave a tab to write on. After I remove it, I label it. Thi makes life SO much eaier when you go to put back together.

The Alternator has 3 bolts hold it on and then there is a positive wire (which comes from the starter) and clip that both go to it, but those are easily accessable when the intake is out of the way. Looking at the picture below, you can see the two top bolts, the clip and the positive wire that go to the alternator.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Classic Auto part Machine

Motor vehicle Light Audio equipment Auto part Electronic device

The third bolt is somewhere under the alternator. This one may be easier to get at from underneath. 👆 This is what it looks like with all the other stuff out of the way.

I hope this helps you!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I definitely didn’t expect such an awesome break down, thank you so much! I saw a couple of you tube videos but a couple of them looked like they were making it harder than it should be. Like taking out motor mounts and such. I mean is it necessary to take out a motor mount? I know someone who works at a mechanic shop and he said with parts, labor, tax it would be around $1050.00 😳😳🤮🤮🤮🤬 There’s no way in hell I can afford that. So I really have no idea what to do now. I gots to have it so I can go to work.

·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
67 Posts
$1,000 to replace an ALTERNATOR?!?! Nope!!! Who ever you called is trying to ROB YOU!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$1,000 to replace an ALTERNATOR?!?! Nope!!! Who ever you called is trying to ROB YOU!!!
RIGHT?!?!?? Another place said $1400! NOPE!! As crazy as this sounds, the only mechanic I really trust is my ex, and he’s 500mi from here lol. We did get it over to my parents house, my dad has a race buddy that can do it for nearly nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts