G5 Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is no dipstick on the 2007 Pontiac g5, but I just wanted to know how to check the transmission fluid.

I got my license very recently, and since my family never uses the poor old g5 I got to take it and it had 117,000km on it when I got it and I don't think my dad has ever serviced the transmission fluid, and I'm just trying to check and see how far gone it is since it says you're supposed to change it every 80,000 km.

I am fairly new to these types of things and probably wont be changing it myself, I just want to see what kind of condition its in without having to go to a shop and making them do it.

thanks and please be very descriptive when explaining :D

·
Administrator
12,848 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Unless your driving conditions/habits fall into the "severe service" category, GM recommends NO changing interval for the transmission fluid and filter.

Change automatic transaxle fluid and filter if the
vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
service.
If you do not use your vehicle under any of these
conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing.

·
1,929 Posts
Some folks have the auto tranny serviced at 100K miles. They hook it up to a machine that flushes and refills in one shot. Manuals, well, drain an' fill maybe at 50K and/or 100K miles. Recycle with motor oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the club!

Unless your driving conditions/habits fall into the "severe service" category, GM recommends NO changing interval for the transmission fluid and filter.
I mean, I do live in a hilly area. SO I guess I should do it

·
Administrator
12,848 Posts
The main point here is that there really isn't a way to easily check the transmission fluid. There is no dip stick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main point here is that there really isn't a way to easily check the transmission fluid. There is no dip stick.
I mean if I have to do it the hard way so be it. As long as I don't have to take the transmission apart I'm fine. But if you could give me a general guide from your knowledge on how to do it that would be greatly appreciated. I just want to see if it's worth changing so that i can finally stop worrying about it

·
#low
1,537 Posts
"Sever Service" basically qualifies everyone. City driving, short trips, are all severe service conditions. Unless you are exclusively highway, i would strongly recommend following the severe service intervals.

I would change fluid and filter when you can. Depending on your location, i have an AC Delco filter that I wont be using (since i dont have an automatic anymore) that i would sell for cheap plus shipping and paypal fees, or local pickup if your around ontario.

·
So Delicious !
5,263 Posts
You check the trans fluid level from a little plug about half way up the side of trans, from the passenger side by the engine. I don't have a pic.

Car must be running, warmed up, in neutral or park, on a level surface.

When full after service ^^^ fluid should just start to come out, if not ADD till it does, once stopped install plug.

fluid will just run out if all of above are not done when checking level....

·
1,929 Posts
My best recommendation without knowing any exact number, it is to make a note of its original position, unscrew it, screw it back in finger tight, then see how much further to the original position you have to go. Then you duplicate that remaining angle with a wrench as best you can.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
The original plug is damaged and over torqued it will be extracted and replaced that why I wanted too know if there was I specific spec so the new is not over torqued....thx for your reply

1 - 11 of 11 Posts