G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I tried searching the forum and couldn't find the answer I'M looking for.

I was wondering if someone wants to explain how to choose rims and wheels?
Eventually I want to get nice rims and probably bigger than the 15 inch I believe is on my car now. How do I know what size wheels my car will be able to go up to?

I'm curious to know how all this works, rather than just telling me what sizes my G5 can handle. From what I understand my G5 uses 4 lugs, but I still don't understand this stuff.

Thanks for any help I get!!

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
4x100 is what u look for. what more do u need 2 no...like weight and diameter?

people put what ever size rims and tires "that will fit" that they want ... its what ever you prefer...
mine came stock with 16s i now have 18s, i know plenty of ppl who have upgraded to those.
my friend has had 20s and 19s on his cobalt also. although 20s IMO are 2 big id go with 18s

as far as tire size i have 225/40/18 another good size is 215/45/18 some ppl will run wider tires so they get 235's

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
im confused though you said u have a g5 right? i thought they were all 5 lug? and only 2 door but in ur pic is a 4 door?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
im confused though you said u have a g5 right? i thought they were all 5 lug? and only 2 door but in ur pic is a 4 door?
LOL Canada gets a 4 door g5 (EXACTLY the same as a cobalt except for the badges and front grill, same taillights even), and the base model gets 4 lug wheels.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
only canada lol wtf no wonder iv never seen them

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.
as far as tire size i have 225/40/18 another good size is 215/45/18 some ppl will run wider tires so they get 235's
This is the type of stuff I don't understand. What do those numbers represent? I assume dimensions?

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
hawk stated it a few post up check that out if ur still unsure everyone here can help you out once you no the size rim you choose

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
the first number and second number work 2gether. 2nd number is just a percentage of the width? to make the side wall height and the last number is just the rim size

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
if ur still unsure its best just to know what fits and wont rub and just what u like and thinks looks good. figure out what size rims u want and then figure out tires from there

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah good call. Honestly I'm just so oblivious with cars. I repair computers and build robotics for a living. I know nothing about cars. My dad was a mechanic and rebuilds old autos but he never liked it when we watched him in the garage so none of my family knows anything about cars lol. Thats probably why my question is so asinine. But yah I understand what you said previously, and I think I understand how it works. I was afraid of it rubbing, but your suggestion of 18 inch makes sense. It won't be until next year anyways, but I appreciate all of the help man.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
well if u go with 18s id get 225 40 or 215 45 its a low profile though if ud like sumthin bigger get a 225 45 or 50 but like i said figure out what rims u want then decide on the tire even if it means you going to different tire shops just to look at the tire size urself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well if u go with 18s id get 225 40 or 215 45 its a low profile though if ud like sumthin bigger get a 225 45 or 50 but like i said figure out what rims u want then decide on the tire even if it means you going to different tire shops just to look at the tire size urself.
Yup. Makes sense.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
goodluck. id get 17s or 18s though if i were you and there are plenty of sites to find them just make sure you look for 4x100

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Yeah good call. Honestly I'm just so oblivious with cars. I repair computers and build robotics for a living. I know nothing about cars. My dad was a mechanic and rebuilds old autos but he never liked it when we watched him in the garage so none of my family knows anything about cars lol. Thats probably why my question is so asinine. But yah I understand what you said previously, and I think I understand how it works. I was afraid of it rubbing, but your suggestion of 18 inch makes sense. It won't be until next year anyways, but I appreciate all of the help man.
opposite of me, I'm in mechanical engineering. cars make sense, but robotics is over my head. I leave that to electrical engineers.

Good luck finding the right wheels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. To each their own. If you ever need help with robotics or electrical engineering I'm your man haha. Thanks dude.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I work in tires so robotics is way over my head too, let me know what size rims you want and i'll check some tires sizes and let you know what I come up with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts