G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 07 G5. How many miles should I put on it and then change the oil? I'm not sure if it would be safe to put 3k on the stock oil. Any help/info would be great. Thanks.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
I have 5k km right now and the lady said to keep going a little since I was still a 49%

I think I'll do it soon though when I'll be like at 40%

but it's better (apparently) to change oil when there are less variations in temperature so I'll wait until it's cooler to change it, so it'll be fine for the winter.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Its more of a comfort thing.

You can technically leave stock oil in there for 3,000 miles (Reccommended interval). Others have gotten away with higher than that, but I don't like to do that.

I personally changed mine at 1,447 miles and switched to Castrol Syntec 5w-30 Full Synthetic. It personally isn't a bad thing to change your oil after the break in period since it removes the metal shavings from the engine parts saying hello to each other within those first 500 miles.

Oil intervals do change greatly. Obviously the ol mineral style oil will require frequent changes, but some of the top shelf Full Synthetics such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Royal Purple can last for 12,000miles with only the requirement of changing the filter every 3000-5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
i did my first oil change at 1600km at the stealership and they said the oil was still very clean

G

·
0 Posts
fusiongt said:
i did my first oil change at 1600km at the stealership and they said the oil was still very clean
maybe they reused it *HORROR MOVIE SCREAM!!!!!!*

·
Registered
31 Posts
fusiongt said:
probably, the rule of thumb is to change it but in reality all you really have to change is the filter to get rid of the "rocks and bolders" that were in the engine from manufacturing...

·
Registered
830 Posts
I did mine at 5000k ... I'll be doing mine when I get on the road again at the end of october just in time for those winter snowboarding trips :woot

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Stock oil can go until the car tells you to change it 10000-14000km (6000-9000 miles)

When you bought the car there was nothing to tell you to change the oil early.
Just for all the people out there that say they cant trust what the car says, my parents Envoy has the same system, they have about 70,000km(45,000 miles) on it with only 5 oils changes and it runs like the day they bought it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We also own a G6 with that system. It has about 15000 miles on it now and we changed the oil at 12 months and again 12 months later. Both times the system showed >30% remaining but they also advise change once per year anyway.
I intend to do the same with my G5 (which now has 4900 miles and is showing 63% left).

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
rkh said:
We also own a G6 with that system. It has about 15000 miles on it now and we changed the oil at 12 months and again 12 months later. Both times the system showed >30% remaining but they also advise change once per year anyway.
I intend to do the same with my G5 (which now has 4900 miles and is showing 63% left).
Yes i forgot to mention that. i think the system says its time for a change at 10% maybe 15%, so then or 1 year which ever comes first.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Ah, revisiting an ol' issue here! I changed my OE fill+filter at 500 miles to dump the wear-in crap. The stealership still wants to go by the 3 month/ 3K mile measure, even though the OLS still says it's good for a while yet. I hav no idea why they have the OLS if they still wanna go by the 'old' way. Next change (OLS down to 50%) will be about 30%, and synthetic is going in. I put dino oil in for the efirst change to finish out the wear-in. I'm still up in the air whether I'll change the filters at 3/ or 3, but synthetic oil is staying in 'til the OLS says ~30% again.

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
DartBaron said:
Ah, revisiting an ol' issue here! I changed my OE fill+filter at 500 miles to dump the wear-in crap. The stealership still wants to go by the 3 month/ 3K mile measure, even though the OLS still says it's good for a while yet. I hav no idea why they have the OLS if they still wanna go by the 'old' way. Next change (OLS down to 50%) will be about 30%, and synthetic is going in. I put dino oil in for the efirst change to finish out the wear-in. I'm still up in the air whether I'll change the filters at 3/ or 3, but synthetic oil is staying in 'til the OLS says ~30% again.
That's funny. the Pontiac dealership here told me to go by the oil life monitor. I think I changed it at 10%? which was 7000kms on the button.

I will be going by the oil life monitor in the car, and next oil change, we're putting royal purple in. It may be a bit more expensive, but I go a lot longer on that here in Victoria then I would have in Winnipeg if I still lived there. (because I would change the oil about 4x more often in Winnipeg then here)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Right now my G5 has 8200km (5100 miles), oil monitor is at 17%. Its still using stock oil, gonna switch to synthetic oil this monday

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
ringflyer said:
DartBaron said:
That's funny. the Pontiac dealership here told me to go by the oil life monitor. I think I changed it at 10%? which was 7000kms on the button.

I will be going by the oil life monitor in the car, and next oil change, we're putting royal purple in. It may be a bit more expensive, but I go a lot longer on that here in Victoria then I would have in Winnipeg if I still lived there. (because I would change the oil about 4x more often in Winnipeg then here)
Alot of dealerships are stuck on the 3mo/3000 mile thing.

I know when I was about to drive off, the sales guy said "See you in 3,000 miles..."

Then right after I said "I'm changing my own oil..."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nighthawk243 said:
Alot of dealerships are stuck on the 3mo/3000 mile thing.

I know when I was about to drive off, the sales guy said "See you in 3,000 miles..."

Then right after I said "I'm changing my own oil..."
^^LOL :lol:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
If your OLM was really accurate, then why do you have to reset it every oil change? Personally, I'd rather stick to the old rule to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
830 Posts
th0ughtless said:
If your OLM was really accurate, then why do you have to reset it every oil change? Personally, I'd rather stick to the old rule to be on the safe side...
you have to reset it so it knows you got it changed don't you?

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
you do, but shouldnt it 'sense' how your oil viscosity is? lol its just a meter that calculates a bunch of vairables to estimate how long your oil life is. i never even look at it

1 - 20 of 53 Posts