G5 Club banner

How To: Change Fuel Filter

62K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  Cherry GT 
#1 ·
STOLEN FROM CSS.net

This shouldn't take anymore then 15 to 20 minutes to complete. Make sure you have the fuel line quick disconnect tool before beginning or this will be very difficult. I have a picture of the tool I used below:

1. Depressurize the fuel system. Do this by pulling the fuel pump relay out of the fuse box then start the car. The car will stumble then die. You can then turn off the car and replace the relay.

2. Goto the rear of the car and find the fuel filter.

3. Remove the two fuel lines that are circled red. It is easier to get your hands on the fuel lines if you unclamp and move the wires circled in blue. Next, remove the fuel line circled in green using a fuel line quick disconnect tool. Finally, remove the bolt in yellow and the fuel filter is out!

4. Replace the fuel filter. Put the bolt from the yellow circle back in then put all the fuel line fittings back on the filter. Don't forget to put the wires back into the clamps if you moved them.

5. Repressurize the fuel system. Do this by placing the key in the ignition and turning it to the "ON" position. You should hear the fuel pump making a whirring sound. Check the fuel lines at the fuel filter for any leaks. Turn the key back to "OFF" and wait 10 seconds. Then turn the key to the "ON" position again, wait for the fuel pump to finish pressurizing then you are ready to start the car! Check for leaks one last time, then you are ready to drive!

See less See more
#22 ·
I bought one of those fuel line quick release gadgets and I still couldn't get the fucking filter off. Either its really stuck or I'm just stupid.