2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tools Need:

1. pontiac font
2. Exactoknife
3. Thick, Black Paper out of the crafts section at wal mart
4. Electrical Tape & Scotch Tape

Ease of Install: Easy

Estimated time to install: An hour of your time and a bit of patience not only to cut, but to read all this bullshit I'm typing.

The Brakelight is pretty easy to take out and take apart. Just carefully pop out all the little plastic thingys (pins, rivets, nails, things in the way?) its your call on what to call them. Once you've done that, the carpet piece falls right out. Theres clips holding the three little lights in place and 2 nuts holding the rest of the casing in place. Take note of how the brake light sits before you take it out. Its very simple to put back in. You just have to maneuver it to where it'll fit in place, when you re-install the casing. Once you have the casing out, theres just 2 little clips holding the red piece in place.

First, I had to open a paint document and used the text tool to write out the font, then resized the image to fit inside the brake light. Heres the image once Its resized properly for those who what to use the word Pontiac. I taped the printout to the black paper, so it wouldn't move while I cut out the letters. Of course, the hard part is taking the time to cut out the letters very carefully. The "P" wasn't hard, but I put some scotch tape behind it right after I cut it out because the center of the letter was very flimsy. The "O" had to be cut one half at a time. I cut out the bottom first, taped the cut out part, so the center wouldn't move, then cut the rest of the letter out and taped it. The other letters are easy cept' for the "A" which I also had to tape cuz it was flimsy. After all the letters were cut, I put a layer of scotch tape on both sides to ensure they wouldn't get ripped and they're protected from the heat of the light. Centering it is another fun part. It took me some time to center the letters inside the light. I didn't take the time to cut the black paper out perfectly to fit inside the brake light. Instead, I used the electrical tape to cover up the exposed areas, so no light would go through cept' for the letters.

Of course, the whole time you're reading this, you're prolly in doubt and asking yourself "wont this catch fire?"
After I was finished, I propped a broomstick against the brake, so It would keep the brake light on and kept an eye on it for about 30 minutes before I was convinced that it won't be a problem. I used to check it everyday after that. Now its once a week. I've had it for around a month or more and it hasn't moved, warped, or anything.

Now, if you look very closely at the picture I took, you can see where the edge of the tape is in the "O" and in the "A." Looks pretty bad in the picture, but you can't see it in person, unless you look very closely. It looks awesome from a distance and everybody I've shown couldn't believe that I made that.

I prolly should have posted this in the "how to" section, but I don't think too many people would like that idea. Its up to the admin...lol
It all sounds like "rigging," but I think of it as being crafty :p
Hell, you can make your third brake light say anything you wanted.
Well, lemme know if anybody else does this. I'd like to know that I inspired somebody :lol:

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
lol..... thanks for the idea.....
think I might try that soon. What year is your car ?
do you have to make the paper sit tight against the lens inside ?
I took you template that you posted and it seems to be just slightly to big to fit into the light on a 2007 GT. I am going to figure it out, nice idea.
I had the light out and looked at it tonight, cut a template that fits into the lens. I show a photo after I finish.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cherry GT said:
lol..... thanks for the idea.....
think I might try that soon. What year is your car ?
do you have to make the paper sit tight against the lens inside ?
I took you template that you posted and it seems to be just slightly to big to fit into the light on a 2007 GT. I am going to figure it out, nice idea.
I had the light out and looked at it tonight, cut a template that fits into the lens. I show a photo after I finish.
My car is an 07 also, and that template was what I used on my car. It sits perfectly inside the light. The paper doesn't sit tight against the lens. Just tape it to that lip towards the inside of the light. Theres a pic of the light lit up
Here

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
cool..........
I made my template to fit inside the lip .... lol ...... this is why your image was too big, thanks for the info.......... consider it done.

Thanks again........ GREAT IDEA ! 8)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cherry GT said:
cool..........
I made my template to fit inside the lip .... lol ...... this is why your image was too big, thanks for the info.......... consider it done.

Thanks again........ GREAT IDEA ! 8)
Thanks

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol, "You lose" is pretty cool. sorry it didn't work out for ya farfromnormal....it just takes some patience.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Farfromnormal got fed up with it? The freaking G5 guru?! I feel special. Oh and nice overlay ;] I might have to change mine to something like that. Maybe, "Back up" or "See ya!" Hahaha.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yup - the G5 guru got fed up. Too tedious for me, cutting out those letters.

I wanted to make mine ClubG5.net - too complicated & it looked like shit when I was done.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats too bad. Maybe instead you should make a big ClubG5.net decal to stick to your windshield...I thought about doing that myself

1 - 20 of 34 Posts