G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All instructions and details in here are based off of th0ughtless' original how-to on 3rd brakelight overlays.
I am just providing pictures.

Tools Need:

1. pontiac font
2. Exactoknife
3. Thick, Black Paper out of the crafts section at wal mart
4. Electrical Tape & Scotch Tape

Ease of Install: Easy

Estimated time to install: An hour of your time and a bit of patience not only to cut, but to read all this bullshit I'm typing.

Trunk with carpeting. Notice plastic bolts holding it in place.

Remove bolts and take off carpeting.

View without carpeting.

Take out the three brake lights by squeezing the two tabs on either side and pulling out.

Take out screws holding up the reflector with a wrench or pliers.

Completley take out reflector by pressing in two inserts on both sides of the reflector.

Image of removed reflector. At this point, red casing should easily slide out.

Outter view of trunk without lights or parts.

Insert overlay//template in red casing and hold down with black electrical tape.

View of overlay.

Insert red casing with overlay back in socket, make sure foam is completely surrounding the metal socket. Replace all other parts.

Finished results.

Results (zoom)

Results at night.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
farfrmnormal said:
On a side note, the plug on the back of the light can be unplugged for easier removal.

HAhahaha I left my just dangling there. I thought I would break something if I unplugged it.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I had a double take when I saw your hands, I had to scroll up and see who wrote it. haha

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Used to seeing automotive guides with hairy man hands haha.

·
Registered
197 Posts
looks good.

What did you use as the template to cut through and tape to the inside of the reflector?

Can you take a normal picture during the day? I was wondering if you can see it without the brake light on, or only when the brake light is on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i just did it to my car this weekend.

Jeremy: The template is just the pontiac font. Print it on computer paper...
Tape it onto a thicker paper, and use an exacto knife to cut the outline of the shapes straight through the thick paper. I used thick cardboard paper on a cutting board (for cooking), because I didn't want to go outisde.
You can kind of see it during the day, but only if your looking really hard.

·
Registered
298 Posts
To get the carpetting off the trunk lid, do you just pull straight on the plastic bolts? or is there another trick. those things seem to break so easily for me, I don't want to snap them pulling them out.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
you can do a couple things. the easiest way is to get a small pry bar, fit the plastic pieces between the middle of the prying part, and lightly pull to one side. the other way is to get a plastic part tool from your local hardware store specially made for these pieces. thats what we have at my upholstery shop, so i used that. but i keep a small prybar in my glove compartment in case i ever need to get back in there.

hope this helps.
---also hope this sig is good

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
By the way, for the issue of being able to see the black paper through the brakelight during the day, I believe I found a way to make it blend better.

I made mine using the same thick posterboard, but instead of black, I used the red version. Also, I ended up spending about two dollars on a package of automotive electrical tape that came in different colors, and am going to use the red on that instead of the standard black tape. I cannot pull the light now... its raining cats and dogs, but I have the insert ready to go though.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts