G5 Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
** I DID NOT DO THIS MYSELF, I DO NOT OWN A G5 YET, THIS IS BASED OFF GENERAL KNOWLEDGE AND DOING THIS IN A DIFFERENT CAR**
*RESULTS MAY VARY**
*THIS IS NOT A "HOLD YOUR HAND" WALKTHROUGH"*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: "How-To: Install an aftermarket HeadUnit"

Tools Need: Wiring harness generally it comes in the box,GM or G5 dash kit, or online. VOLT- METER!!!!!!!! Flathead screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, wire strippers, electrical tape.

Ease of Install: (Moderate)

Estimated time to install:1+ hours
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For starters, I am fairly certain your engine codes are NOT stored in your Head Unit. Why would they do that?

Ok, Lets get started,
Hopefully you have bought your new headunit, if not GO BUY IT!

*Start by taking off the moulding around the stereo, I don't know how, maybe just pop it off with the flat head

* then pull the stereo out, just take a look at it, and figure it out yourself, there should be a onslaught of wires connected to a single plug that is plugged into the back of the HU. Unplug the wires from the stereo,and unplug the antenna cord.

* If all goes well, the plug from your original stereo should fit right in the new one, as well as the antenna plug.If so, plug it all in, put your new stereo in place of the old one
* Since your old stereo is roughly twice as big as your new one, your gonna have a slot there that allows people to look in your dash correct? This is where that dash kit comes into play, just slide it in, and now you have a extra place to store your shades or phone.
* If the plug doesn't fit into the new stereo thats where the wiring harness that came with your stereo comes into play.

Here are two wire color schemes that are common
Function Typical Wire Colors
Memory / Constant 12V(+) Yellow
Switch / Accessory Red
Ground Black
Illumination Orange/White-multicolored
Antenna Remote Blue
Amp Remote Blue/White-multicolored
Left Front (+) White
Left Front (-) White/Black-multicolored
Right Front (+) Grey
Right Front (-) Grey/Black-multicolored
Left Rear (+) Geen
Left Rear (-) Green/Black-multicolored
Right Rear (+) Violet
Right Rear (-) Violet/Black-multicolored

------------------------------------------------------------------

Function Color
Memory (+12v Constant) Orange
Ignition (+12v Switched) Yellow
Ground (-) Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Power Antenna Pink

S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow

**DO THE NEXT STEP ONE WIRE AT A TIME, CUT A CORD, SPLICE IT OPEN, CONNECT THAT WIRE TO THE SAME COLORED PLUG ON THE PLUG, TAPE IT UP, THEN DO THE NEXT, IF YOU TOUCH TWO WIRES TOGETHER, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOUR GONNA SHORT SOMETHING.**
* your gonna have to use the wire strippers to clip each and every cord that goes into the plug. then strip then about 1/4-1/2 an inch so you can connect the new plug to the existing wires, its basically a mix n match game, all the cords should be color coded, so just match up all the cords, twist the wires together and wrap the naked wire in electrical tape. If you have extra wires make sure you havent missed anything, all the wires from the plug should be attached to a wire from the car,there may be extra wires from the car that dont have to be used, just make sure those wires arent used for anything, then tape off the ends of them.

Mount the stereo in the dash, then use the dash kit in the open space, and voila!, new stereo.

*If someone has done this before on their G5, please make sure to tell me, and I will add or change it.*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody gave a definitive answer as to whether the codes are stored in the stereo or not.

Only way to find out is to ask the dealer, OR, after you install the stereo, just try the on-off ignition trick to get the codes, and if it says error or something then yes the codes are in the stereo, and you will have to take it to the dealer to get relocated.

Someone needs to find out FOR SURE if the codes are in the stereo.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The malibu's, Impala's, and a couple other GM vehicles store the codes in the radio. My dealer advised my boyfriend of the correct harness being the GM lan based one. He does not have OnStar or XM. But, to each their own.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still. Noone knows for sure if the G5 stores their codes in the stereo.

If the stock harness fits into your aftermarket stereo, then thats nothing but a + and saves you time, The only difference between harnesses is the plug that goes into the stereo might be different, or the harness may have extra wires that your aftermarket stereo doesnt need.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dude, you don't even own a G5 yet. I am not diggin on your post, all I am saying is that my boyfriend was told BY THE DEALER to go with the GM Lan. When people post saying "double check" its only to prevent users from being pissed off at the one who posted the "how-to" - we can't be liable for the things people do to their cars, so we want them to be completely informed. They need to know that they MAY need the expensive harness - especially if you have OnStar or XM. That is all that is being said.

·
Registered
162 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
Dude, you don't even own a G5 yet. I am not diggin on your post, all I am saying is that my boyfriend was told BY THE DEALER to go with the GM Lan. When people post saying "double check" its only to prevent users from being pissed off at the one who posted the "how-to" - we can't be liable for the things people do to their cars, so we want them to be completely informed. They need to know that they MAY need the expensive harness - especially if you have OnStar or XM. That is all that is being said.
Because the dealer would never lead you in the wrong direction. :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
farfrmnormal said:
especially if you have OnStar or XM.
I dont know for sure, but im guessing that once you install a head unit, there goes your onstar/xm, because XM only works with Xm radios, so if im right, then booyah, no need for expensive dealer crap!

I dont know where the buttons for onstar for the g5 are. but on my moms buick rendezvous, they werent part of the stereo.

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
I am not 100% on the codes being stored in the Hu, but I do know that once you remove the Hu from the car, its useless if you try to sell it to someone else or use it in another G5. They are coded or that specific VIN and need to be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
BTY Elit3 said:
farfrmnormal said:
especially if you have OnStar or XM.
I dont know for sure, but im guessing that once you install a head unit, there goes your onstar/xm, because XM only works with Xm radios, so if im right, then booyah, no need for expensive dealer crap!

I dont know where the buttons for onstar for the g5 are. but on my moms buick rendezvous, they werent part of the stereo.
As far as my knowledge goes xm works on "Satellite Ready" Radio Decks. If you get one that is Satellite ready it might be worth it to get the right harness or you'll be without your satellite hook up. But thats only if you want it right?

I put Sat in my former ride, and I installed with a new head unit, and the xm package, got all the goods of a regular deck, and satellite radio as well. But now I get 3 months to think on if I would like to resubscribe.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
just so everyone knows, without the new harness, the xm is controllen by the BCM and is jumper number 18 which is a dark green wire

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah. They told Me I would have to have the $250-ish harness as well and I have the base headunit. Im still trying to figure out what to do instead cause im not going to pay that. GM is crap for doing something so stupid :-( And it wasnt the dealer that told me that it was best buy, circuit city, and Independence Audio. None of which carried it (so I dont know why they would lie.) They Said that the door chimes and what not are installed in the head unit, and thats what makes it cost so much.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Well, if you don't care about door chimes then you don't really need it.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
kingG5 said:
i thought this guy got banned...hes a fuckin tool..
Agreed. There is probably only 5% useful/correct information in this thread. It should just be deleted to save the new members from messing up their cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts